ruger vs vs savage

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dead eye kenny

Bearcat
hello newbie here. im in the market for a new deer gun and ive always liked and owned from the savage line up. i have several in across the "big game" cartridges. now that we can use rifles in illinois i want a new gun as my slug gun is starting to take its toll on my shoulder. looking at a 400 legend but cant decide if i go with the american 2nd generation or the axis 2. is the ruger worth the higher cost? the ruger is about $250 more than the savage plus i have to get glass for it. my hunting partner swears by ruger, as ive never owned w ruger i just dont know! both made in usa. help me decide!!!!!!

My Cousin in Iowa bought a pair of the .350 Legend Savage 'budget rifles' last fall. He reported the rifles were accurate with one brand of ammo but less so with others. I didn't shoot them so can't confirm. He also commented that they had more recoil than he'd expected--again, I don't know how much he was expecting(he compared recoil to a 20ga with slugs) but obviously less than heavy 12 ga slug loads.
Big question is: why do you feel the need for the .400 cartridge? Going bear hunting north or hog hunting south? Don't take this wrong--it's your decision but I'm just curious.

dead eye kenny

Bearcat
mostly i hunt from a stand, combination of woods and fields. no real need for the 400, just what i want. i like my deer to drop where i shoot them, ive only had to track a deer one time, and that was due to bad shot placement.