Super Blackhawk Trigger Guard

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Maverick

Bearcat

IMG_0419.jpg

Am I the only one who catches himself changing screens when someone walks in the room while I'm looking at these gorgeous guns? Heavy breathing, drool, glassy eyes....my wife gets suspicious!

SATCOM

Blackhawk
One must remember the times when the Ruger Super Blackhawk came out. The .44 mag was young, the Blackhawk in .44 was designed and produced in record time. In order to do that the .357 Blackhawk was simply made bigger. The factory loaded .44 magnum of the time were a real handful in the Blackhawk. Especially mean were the sharp checkered black grips on an XR3 grip frame. Many used Supers were purchased from the original owners looking new and came with a full box of .44 mag rounds minus 6. (I could not help but laugh as a new generation learned about the XR3 grip frame with black plastic grips when the New Model Blackhawk Flattops .44 magnums came out!)

The Super was designed all new for the .44 magnum cartridge. Steel grip frame, an inch more of steel in the barrel, non fluted and bigger cylinder added more steel as well as much bigger cylinder frame. Big smooth grips on a frame (for what ever reasons Mr. Ruger and friends had) shaped after a Dragoon style. It was a huge improvement over the .44 Flattop Blackhawk. It was a a magnificent gun.

I shot me first Ruger single action, a Single Six convertible when I was 12. At 15 I shot my first Super Blackhawk. It was a handful of joy. A shinny blue blast of excitement. I was taught how to let it roll in my hands, not fully release right hand fingers, cock with left thumb, and not grip to too hard. My wife shot her first .44 magnum cartridge in the very same gun. She became very proficient with it and it was not long before we had to locate another one just for her.

It was a perfect gun for some, a good gun for many, and a poor gun for an unlucky few.

SATCOM

Jon406

Single-Sixer
I know this is an old thread, but still a current problem with the trigger guard.

I just replaced my grip panels on my New Model SBH with the squared trigger guard... I bought it use, and it's had a lot of use since 2018 when it was manufactured by the date. The grips were chipped in the same place on both sides, so bought a pair of Hogue dark walnut panels for it... I'll get out and shoot it in the next few days, using Skeeter 44 Special loads. I used to own one of these years ago... I remember with magnum loads having it bust my finger knuckle.. wearing deer or elk skin gloves helps but doesn't solve the smack.

1715346384446.png

extex

Bearcat
I never could stand the point digging into the finger on my support hand so I ran it with an ugly Pachmayr. Then I had John Gallagher round it off and shorten the barrel to 9 inches. Much better.

Attachments

• IMG_2194.jpg
    IMG_2194.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 17

gnappi

Blackhawk
Way back I had a SBH with the squared trigger guard and like it a lot. Today my only Ruger with one is not by any stretch a hard kicking BH "Palomino" in .357.

Latest posts