Temporary Emergency lights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
The last two nights have been a lot of fun. Significant thunder-boomies, rain ( :shock: ),
for a total of 1.25 inches (two night total), and four to six hour power outages.
Fortunately I have a Streamlight "Seige" light so I didn't need to hunt up all of my
hand-held flaslights.

Amazon has a good assortment at $5 less than Cabella's (smallest size). They run
from $25, for the smallest to around $150 for the large, rechargable one.

I got the ones that run "C" size alkaline batt's. Seems best for me.

If you don't have something like these, then I hope you have a bunch of flashlights. :D

41D1UPmHctL._SY90_.jpg

OOPS: Forgot run times:
White Light: High for brightest light; 540 lumens; runs 30 hours.
Medium for bright light and longer run times; 275 lumens; runs 70 hours.
Low provides extended run times for when less light is needed;
55 lumens; runs 295 hours.

RSIno1

Hunter
Harbor Freight too:
https://www.harborfreight.com/250-lumen-pop-up-lantern-64110.html?_br_psugg_q=lantern
https://www.harborfreight.com/1250-lumen-portable-lantern-63992.html

Tallbald

Buckeye
I really appreciate and like my Streamlight lanterns. Very reliable. Cheap to run. Good adjunct to my Coleman Dual Fuel gas lantern and my beautiful Coleman kerosene (yes,, kerosene) lantern. Never fired the kerosene one up but it's at the ready. Just hate to dirty such a beauty (reformed Coleman collector here). Don

All house generator. As we got older we were tired of finding and firing up lamps, battery operated lanterns and filling the gas tank on the old generator. Now if we lose power, 30 seconds later the generator fires up and we have everything working that we had before.
The definition of a flashlight...a circular tube used to store dead batteries.

We use Rigid 18 volt cordless tools so I always have 8-10 batteries charged and ready to use. My solution to short term lighting need is a Rigid combination lamp/area light and a radio/light combo. Either will run 4-6 hours on a 2 amp-hour battery. If the outage lasts more than that, I start the generator.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Colonialgirl said:
Gee, I've got 5 kerosene lamps and 2 liters of spare lamp oil.

Kerosene has fallen out of favor but for any longer power outage it's my primary plan too. I do use some smaller lamps that use lamp oil (doesn't stink), then big lamps that use kerosene. Also have two kerosene heaters and spare wicks in case we ever couldn't use the furnace and our gas fireplace.

I store 10-gallons of Kerosene in sealed NATO fuel cans. Probably should rotate it as it's about 10-years young but darn that's a lot of kerosene to use up! I am sure it's still fine though.

We use it in Dietz Lanterns mostly outdoors on the deck or camping. I am a big fan of 1800s technology for backup light and heat.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
We recently had our electric wires put underground by FPL and I hope we won't be needing the portable house lights as much as we used to. We like the battery lanterns for lighting rooms but I also like the 6V lantern for spotlighting the yard and I also like some of those small flashlights that you can put in your pocket. Battery operated fans are also needed for outages in the summer and I use a 12V deep cycle storage battery to run a fan for my wife. :mrgreen: :roll:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Colonialgirl said:
Gee, I've got 5 kerosene lamps and 2 liters of spare lamp oil.

Hi,

Pamela, I'll see your five kerosene lanterns and raise you 2 1/2 gal of I-K kerosene. Then we can start lighting Coleman lanterns: I can't tell you how many of those live here. It's at least a dozen. it would probably take 5 gal of Coleman fuel to fill them. And that's before anybody gets hungry and wants to fire up a stove... yeah, there are a few of those, too. ;) I figure it would take a good emergency to stretch all that.

It's probably a good thing the neighborhood yard sales ran out of $5 stoves and lanterns!

Rick C