10/22 Bolt Maintenance

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'm a newbie to this site but I've been shooting the 10/22 for about 40 years. One thing that I've noticed is that I haven't seen any posts regarding the lubrication of the 10/22 bolt at all. I know every time I've taken my bolt out and clean off the junk on the bolt I always take a Remington oil treated throw away cloth and wipe down all the surfaces of the bolt with the treated wipe as well as the top of the bolt chamber. I only mention Remington but there are other companies that make oil treated throw away cloths too and in my experience I have never had any problems with the bolt getting stuck or failing to cycle as it is intended. You can also just take a 2"+ patch and just put a few drops of gun oil on it and lubricate the bolt and chamber top as well. It's worth the little extra effort.

Whatever works for you. I generally run the 10-22 dry since mine are exposed to a lot of dirt, road dust, and such. The only one(s) I lube are the suppressor hosts running sub-sonic ammo. The lube helps keep fouling soft(er) and helps the bolt work properly with the sub-sonic ammo.

I doubt a small/tiny amount of any lube will be a problem. Many people over lube all guns. Most times when lubing any guns moving parts, I place a small drop on a finger and wipe. On the 10-22 the most important thing is keeping the bolt face clean. A nylon brush works. If the action is tore down use a wire brush.