10/22 question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kyhareraiser

Bearcat
i have a pair of 10/22's one is the ss sportster and the other one the carbine type i have tricked out a little with camo stock and scope.. the question i have " i shoot both rifles using the 10 round mags and the high cap. mag.i have several hangups and misfires with the carbine style (picked it up on a trade) but with the same shells while shooting the sportster(bought it new) i can fire till the whole 50 rd. mag is emptied with maybe 1 or 2 hangups.. what do y'all think could be the problem with the hangups and misfires out of the carbine.. do the firing pin springs wear out due to excessive shooting? thought since it was used when i got it ,there may have been some rapid fires sent through it.. what y'all thank

One thing to remember, rifles are like women. They all have their individual preferences. If it functions well with one magazine and not another, well, it likes that magazine better. The same holds true, to an even greater extent with ammo.

kyhareraiser

Bearcat
i understand ,but i am using the same ammo and same mags ,,factory and high cap. in both rifles . so the firing pin spring won't get weak with use and not allow the firing pin to strike the shell hard enough to fire.. that's kinda what i thought but i'm no gunsmith for sure thanks ole' bud

9x19

Hunter
There is no firing pin spring, but the mainspring could have been tampered with, and is an easy and inexpensive "fix".

Likewise some factory extractors are not the best (stamped parts), and can be improved or replaced to cure ejection issues.

extractor... polish the chamber and make sure it is real clean... and of course clean everything and lub.... then again, as mentioned, 10.22s are like women ... but they are fun to fiddle around with and in contrast to most women, not that expensive to trick out and play with.

Latest posts