10/22 Show & Tell

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TINCANBANDIT is back

Single-Sixer
I'm starting a new thread, post pictures of your 10/22 along with the story of how you acquired it, what mods you have done and anything else of interest.

This first one for me started out when I found an SR22 chassis at a gun show for just $60. I bought a threaded 16" barrel for it on Ruger.com and added one of the parkerized steel receivers I bought when Kingston Armory went under. I added an aftermarket mag release, aftermarket charging handle then I deburred and polished the parts in the bolt and blued it. The trigger got my usual trigger job. Scope is a Bushnell I think, with lighted reticle 3-9 x 42mm. Then just to piss off the lefties I added a KA VFG and a universal bayonet lug, so I could attach an M7 bayonet.

IMG_0738.JPG

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
I hinted to my son that I wanted one of his 10/22s that I built for him years ago. He doesn't shoot them. Well, no deal so when I told an old friend he gave me one of his. I had given him the Hogue Overmolded stock and he said I did the Clark barrel as well.

I did a trigger job, reducing it from 6.5 pounds down to just under 2 using a Powers Custom Trigger Kit. Had a Kidd but it wouldn't fit in the aluminum chassis.

Another friend offered me a TacSol Barrel and Goliath Stock so I could lighten it up for Steel Challenge. I added a C-More Railway RedDot that I had sitting around. My total cost was just for the trigger assembly, $ 135.

Attachments

• Glenn's rifle.jpeg
    Glenn's rifle.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Complete With TacSoll Barrel.jpeg
    Complete With TacSoll Barrel.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 32
I surely do love 10-22's. I have 2 chargers, 3 takedowns, 3 regular rifles, and am supposed to pick up another 1 today. This is one of my favorites. I can't remember when I got most of them. The barrel, trigger assembly and the barrel band are the only things from this original rifle. The receiver and the stock are from later ones. I have XS peep sights on it. It has a volquartsen hammer and extractor. The barrel cover I got off rugers website.
20240209_053819.jpg
20240209_053741.jpg
20240209_053514.jpg
20230423_044455.jpg
20230423_043753.jpg

TINCANBANDIT is back

Single-Sixer
This build was inspired by a guy on the rimfirecentral forum, he goes by the name of Hipshot, anyway he made a tribute to the old calvary carbines of the late 19th century, you know the Spencers, Trapdoors, Ballards, Sharps ect....I liked it and decided to copy him.
The receiver is another one of the parkerized steel units from Kingston Armory. The bolt has been polished and blued, the trigger housing is an original anodized aluminum one.
I found a saddle ring off a M1892 Krag carbine and some slings from an old Enfield. I made the sling from an 1.5" leather belt. I made a custom brass charging handle using parts from a lamp and a ruger brass emblem. I added a Williams peep sight to the rear. The mag release is a cheap aluminum one that sort of resembles the breech release on the older guns.
On the stock I cut the pistol grip down and made it a straight grip, then I cut down and tapered the forend, I had to modify the barrel band to fit. The front sling swivel was trimmed down to fit in the barrel band. The screws for the butt plate were replaced with brass screws that match the ones holding the rear sling swivel and saddle ring. I used leather dye and shoe polish to stain the stock.

IMG_2300.JPG

IMG_2302.JPG

IMG_2301.JPG

IMG_0882.JPG

IMG_1911.JPG

dstegjas

Single-Sixer
IMG_1617.jpeg

I picked this 10/22 up in 2007 at a local Gander Mountain store. It was new and on sale for $275. It's the target version with a hammer forged bull barrel and nice laminated stock. It hasn't been shot much over the years but it is a tack driver. I topped it off with a Nikon scope. Sorry guys, no modifications on this one.

TINCANBANDIT is back

Single-Sixer
This build started with a threaded bull barrel I found at a gun show for just $40, it was an ER Shaw, the finish was a little beat up for storage, so I cleaned it up and reblued it, then started collecting parts.
I used another one of the steel, parkerized Kingston Armory receivers (I bought 7 of them.....6 of them I paid $50 a piece for).
Then I bought a new bolt from JWH custom, I had a left over plastic trigger so I performed a trigger job on it. I bought a Hogue thumbhole stock for it and a new scope (Busnell 3-9 x 50) for it and a Harris bi-pod

I had to swap out the JWH bolt, for some reason it would not feed, went with a factory Ruger one and it works as it should

IMG_0697.JPG

TINCANBANDIT is back

Single-Sixer
I might have to get one of those B-TM stocks.....

Here is another one, this one started when I found a very nice original Finger Groove stock at a yard sale, they guy wanted $75, he knew what he had, but I talked him down to $55.
So I found a vintage barrel (Southport address, no warning) and a good factory receiver (not period correct). I had a very nice original aluminum trigger group, so I put this together......I tell you this is a sickness

IMG_7947.JPG

TINCANBANDIT is back

Single-Sixer
This build started when someone gave me this modified walnut factory stock

IMG_5363.JPG

I decided I wanted to save the stock, I had just acquired the factory Finger Groove stock in my previous post, so I decided to give it a similar treatment with a grip cap some grooves cut into the forend.

I had some aluminum parts (buttplate & trigger housing) that needed refinishing, so I paid a friend to cerakote them in satin black. I added one more of the Kingston Armory receivers, this one I got in the white, I polished it to a 5000-grit finish, I gave a factory new take-off barrel the same treatment, then reblued them. This is the result.

IMG_1306.JPG

IMG_1311.JPG

Here is my K10-22 with Altamont straight grip stock, 16.125" barrel with fire sights and a BX trigger. It was a regular stainless 10-22 with synthetic stock. I made it up from parts bought on Ebay. I also have one in the same configuration in blue finish. They both handle great and point naturally. The sights line up quickly and they are fairly accurate. They are compact and easy to carry.
0402181422.jpg
0710221456.jpg

TINCANBANDIT is back

Single-Sixer
love the folders! I used to have a Butler Creek folder (I still might have it in fact, I still have not completely unpacked from the move 3 yrs ago). I had issues with it, the pins would sometimes walk out of my trigger group and there was enough room between the stock and the trigger housing that the pin would slide out enough to stop the gun from working.

Here is another one, probably the one I am most proud of.

I bought a walnut international stock from S&P outfitters, then took one of my Kingston Armory steel receivers and gave it and a new take-off barrel a 5000 grit blued finish.
I then bought a Pike Arms black aluminum anodized trigger housing and performed my usual trigger work. The bolt is factory, cleaned, deburred and gave it a high polish. The charging handle is stock. Almost forgot, I also made my own take down screw. I bought a #12 zinc plated screw that was oversize, I reduced the diameter until it fit just right, the took off 1/2 the threads to capture it, then gave it a high polished blued finish, it sits flush with the wood, which I thick is a nice touch....
IMG_7484c.jpg

IMG_7481.JPG

IMG_7486.JPG

IMG_7487.JPG

IMG_7485.JPG

IMG_7491.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7494.JPG
    IMG_7494.JPG
    329.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7491.JPG
    IMG_7491.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 27

TINCANBANDIT is back

Single-Sixer
Here is another one that was inspired by Hipshot on the rimfire central forum, I took a factory beech wood stock and cut the grip down, then added a pistol grip carved from two pieces of poplar. Then used body filler to smooth it out and painted it with a flat textured black paint. I added a barrel shroud (the shoulder thing that goes up...haha), then added a sling and swivels.

I think I still have the stock, but I removed the parts to build another gun.

IMG_1760.JPG