1959 44 Flattop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Great buy! If it's a shooter you'll enjoy shooting it much more with a steel XR3-RED grip frame. More knuckle room and more weight in your hand for better balance.

The blue steel (or stainless) grip frame from a Ruger cap and ball Old Army will interchange. And you can use the wider trigger as well.

An old model super blackhawk wide spur hammer is another great addition; also interchangeable.

Last edited:
Definitely shooter grade. I bought it at good price and to fill the void in my inventory. I may not shoot it unless it is loaded with 44 Spl.
Due to the SA grip, I am limited to DA when it comes to 44 mag. I currently have a 5" 629
Classic which I can tolerate.

The slot of the ejector housing. Does it go straight back to the frame without an "offset" just ahead of the cylinder base pin?
Chet15
Hey Chet, I'm not the OP but I appreciate your answering me because I also have a 44 Flattop of the same era and enjoy learning.
Here's my 44 and a photo of what I imagine you're talking about.
What exactly does the offset mean?

E2C92009-FB60-4B06-A94E-9151EBB86163.jpeg

Johnnu2

Hunter
Hey Chet, I'm not the OP but I appreciate your answering me because I also have a 44 Flattop of the same era and enjoy learning.

View attachment 40295
I'm not a knowledgeable collector, but I believe the "offset" Chet is refering to would appear/occur at the beginning of the ejector rod. Here is a picture of mine that does NOT have the offset housing...As you can see, mine is a "straight back" type housing on my 1959/1960 FT 44 Mag.

Hope this helps.... Chet, correct me if I'm wrong....
J.

chet15

Hawkeye

View attachment 40295
For your pic with the red highlighted circle, the ejector slot in the housing doesn't go straight through to the frame, the slot "offsets" and doesn't go any further.
Chet15

For your pic with the red highlighted circle, the ejector slot in the housing doesn't go straight through to the frame, the slot "offsets" and doesn't go any further.
Chet15
Okay, I see that. I just pulled out my Super Blackhawk of the same era and see where the slot goes to the frame.

Is there something special about the offset slot? Why did you ask the OP if his had that feature?
From a machinist point of view, I can see where the slot to the frame would be easier, therefore cheaper, to manufacture.

Thanks, Bill

Welllllll……. I picked up the flat top today. I am embarrassed to say it is missing the base pin latch assembly.
With no further explanation, I need an assembly appropriate to this model.
Does anyone have a link to where I might find one?

Otherwise, I am happy with the revolver and look forward to being able to shoot it. I am currently on the road and look forward to finding the parts.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
We haven't learned why it's there and if it effects value. I'd like to know this.
The original Ruger single action was a .22. The ejector rod only needed to move about 2/3s of the distance towards the frame to fully eject the .22 cases. So that's how far the slot was cut in the ejector rod housing before the slot cut was offset (made a right angle turn) and the cut then continued to the frame to allow the rod to be installed and removed.

The second style offset housing:
The next single action was the 357 with its much longer cases to eject: so the slot offset was moved closer to the frame so the rod could travel further to eject the longer cases.

Finally the slot was made straight by eliminating the offset. This was the last style housing still used to this day.

Last edited:
The original Ruger single action was a .22. The ejector rod only needed to move about 2/3s of the distance towards the frame to fully eject the .22 cases. So that's how far the slot was cut in the ejector rod housing before the slot cut was offset (made a right angle turn) and the cut then continued to a frame to allow the rod to be installed and removed.

The second style offset housing:
The next single action was the 357 with its much longer cases to eject: so the slot offset was moved closer to the frame so the rod could travel further to eject the longer cases.

Finally the slot was made straight by eliminating the offset. This was the last style housing still used to this day.
Thank you!!