1973 Ruger 3 screw .45 grip panel question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Trailduster

Bearcat
Picked up a nice little 4 5/8" 3 screw Ruger .45 Colt yesterday and it's in nice shape.
Has been refinished at some point and a set of faux stag grips added.

Want to eventually replace the grips and wanted to ask,what type/style of factory grips would this year Blackhawk have had when shipped?

If you could post a pic,I would very much appreciate it. 👍😃

Thanks!!
Doug

Attachments

• IMG_3458.jpeg
    IMG_3458.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3457.jpeg
    IMG_3457.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 38
Nice gun, and the grips for that era gun have what was nicknamed "squashed chicken" medallions by the late Bob Campbell they are transition grips from the last of the old model three screwed guns and the New models of 1973, they have black hardware the screw and the escutcheons are black and the medallion is a silver eagle that is very "flat" to say the least thus the term "squashed chicken" these can be found on various gun sites as well as some of the gun shows, I usually have a pair here for the gun shows to to put on those transition guns,,,,,they look like this

Attachments

• a pr tras grips near b.JPG
    a pr tras grips near b.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 31
  • BH45grips near.JPG
    BH45grips near.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 32
  • squashedmedallion.JPG
    squashedmedallion.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 30

hittman

Staff member
I've heard it called Eagle or Piasa Bird.
There's a story ( I think ) if it's being designed by Mr. Sturm and put on the grips by Mr. Ruger after Sturm's death. Did I remember that right?

....its a 'black eagle' used on the old models Ruger firearms, all kinds of stories and they are all in the various Ruger books out there...the are wide necks, skinny necks even necks that have a feather sticking out of either side of the birds neck , and they were used in the 1967 era.............
examples...................

Attachments

• 101_0390-1.jpg
    101_0390-1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 24

contender

Ruger Guru
Medallions can become a bit of interesting study unto themselves.

The "Eagle" or "Phoenix" or "Ruger Bird" as it may be called was reportedly designed by Alex Sturm. Originally the was a recessed bird, and the bird itself was red. Outer raised section was silver. After the death of Alex,, Bill changed the color to black, and kept the shape mostly. But different vendors making them,, we got "skinny necks," and "fatter necks." Then as noted,, in 1967 there was a good run of them with "neck feathers" as well.
Then as the New Models were to be introduced,, they also re-designed the medallion. where the bird was "raised" to be level with the face of the medallion, colored silver, and the cut-out around it was recessed & black. The center of those also had "SR" in the chest area. Early ones were of the "squashed chicken" type we often refer to. Later on,, they become cleaner & sharper in their image.
And in more recent years,, we've seen a return of the recessed black bird,, and the change from the SR to just a "R". And then there have been a few other varieties as well.

With the OP's gun being a 1973 made OM .45 Blackhawk,,I'd say most likely a set of "squashed chicken medallions, and blued screw hardware. Wood being walnut.