22/45 cleaning schedule

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I don't mean to upset those who feel it's necessary to clean after every use BUT. I was looking for something to do yesterday and realized I couldn't remember when I'd cleaned the 22/45 suppressor host last-one year or two??? It was tough even getting the muffler unscrewed and required some soaking with KROIL. The muffler required soaking with throttle body cleaner and punch/hammer persuasion to disassemble BUT the pistol itself only needed a couple of Hoppes soaked patches and a spritz of CLP in/on the bolt.
No round count of use but SWAG of 500 rounds since last cleaning and all with the muffler in place. Understand that nothing makes a rimfire dirty more than using the muffler with plain lead(not plated) bullets. I didn't clean more since obviously, that wasn't required. No malfunctions prior to cleaning and none post cleaning. 100 yard post cleaning group was bigger than I'd like but there was a gusting 20mph crosswind so :whistle: I'm not going to complain. Twenty five yard rapid fire was OK w/o any hiccups.

I have a friend who has a S&W 41 with a muzzle break. He's a precision bullseye competitor who shoots a lot. He has brought the 41 to me on occasion to clean and once to replace the worn out breach block mounted in the slide. The muzzle break was near "stopped up" with a "carbide" like accumulation of carbon.

I think a lot of gun cleaning is done for the activity itself. I love the smell of Hoppe's, each and every time I clean a gun I think about my Dad when he cleaned his guns, and he has been gone almost 50 years. I don't shoot all that often, so cleaning is sometimes the only interaction I have with a particular gun, even though clearly it didn't need to be cleaned at all. But it gives me the reason to look at and handle the gun and decide why I don't want to get rid of it even though I don't need it and virtually never fire it.

The one exception for me is my one and only shotgun, a Mossberg 500 that I might run a rod down the barrel but find reasons for not dissembling this gun. I always have a terrible time putting the thing back together so since I hardly ever shoot it, I pretty much just wipe it down and clean the barrel.

I've posted my opinions on cleaning many times before. I'll just add, don't whine if you really, really need a gun to go bang and it doesn't because of something like a crud covered firing pin. Then again, if you do really, really need it to go bang and it doesn't you may well not be able to whine.

contender

Ruger Guru
Many is the gunsmith who makes easy money "fixing" a gun that won't function,, just by doing a simple cleaning.

Some people never clean,, others clean after firing 1 round.

I clean often enough to where I can trust my gun to go bang when I may NEED it.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I think a lot of gun cleaning is done for the activity itself. I love the smell of Hoppe's, each and every time I clean a gun I think about my Dad when he cleaned his guns, and he has been gone almost 50 years. I don't shoot all that often, so cleaning is sometimes the only interaction I have with a particular gun, even though clearly it didn't need to be cleaned at all. But it gives me the reason to look at and handle the gun and decide why I don't want to get rid of it even though I don't need it and virtually never fire it.

The one exception for me is my one and only shotgun, a Mossberg 500 that I might run a rod down the barrel but find reasons for not dissembling this gun. I always have a terrible time putting the thing back together so since I hardly ever shoot it, I pretty much just wipe it down and clean the barrel.
My sentiments exactly.....
Would you believe that there are actually people who don't know how to clean their own guns?
I even know some rich guys who actually have their guns cleaned for them before they leave their club.... !!
Me, I'm with Vito; gives me a chance to interact with my beauties.... and smell the Hoppes
J.

"Would you believe that there are actually people who don't know how to clean their own guns?
I even know some rich guys who actually have their guns cleaned for them before they leave their club.... !!"
Heck yes, I'd believe that. Think about all the folks who pay someone to change the oil and rotate the tires on their vehicle(s).

Hertervillian

Saluki
Having just purchased a MkIII that will be wearing a muffler, it's reassuring that it won't be needing a douche every range trip.

I've gone from clean every shooting session to now cleaning as time permits. No intention of running to failure or even accuracy issues, but far less than I once did.

My sentiments exactly.....
Would you believe that there are actually people who don't know how to clean their own guns?
I even know some rich guys who actually have their guns cleaned for them before they leave their club.... !!
Me, I'm with Vito; gives me a chance to interact with my beauties.... and smell the Hoppes
J.
Yep I believe it. Sometimes I get paid to do it.