22 hornet Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunman42782 makes some good points.

Maybe this is a good one to tuck away, for collecting purposes(?).

Still, I'd prefer they fill up the supply chain with existing models. I miss the days of walking into the LGS, and gazing at a display case full of Rugers!

I agree. When I go to the LGS to see what's new the display case is filled with Wranglers and Super Wranglers.

Onty

Single-Sixer
Hmmmm.... I wonder if the cylinder could be reamed to the 22 K Hornet. That would make it even more compelling. And I think that they should have fluted the barrel. But that would have probably added another $200 to the price.
Better yet, 218 Bee. Yes, it will work in revolvers. I had seen article in very old magazine about cougar hunter in California. He had Colt SAA custom made to noted cartridge, and it worked flawlessly.

Redhawk41

Bearcat
66 ounces …..

....and still lighter than my .460 S&W, even without the scope!

20220316_172127-ed-red.jpg

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
There are about a dozen or so on GB right now . Most at more than msrp.😲 My local dealer has them in stock at $100 over msrp . I was thinking about one , but I may wait and see ...........

Axehandle

Buckeye
Of value to note the 9 twist barrel. The rifles are generally 14 or 16 twist. Mounted a 3-12 Burris on my first. Played a bit with factory ammo at 25 yards and accuracy was not good. When putting the gun up I noted that I had tightened the rings to the scope but had not tightened the rings to the gun. We'll tighten the rings and test more including pulling out the chronograph to check velocity soon.

Last edited:
They're pretty steep… there's a couple other SRHs I'd rather have at the moment.

But after reading up on the cartridge, I definitely would mine getting second had rifle and checking it out.

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
I'm sure they put it in the Super Redhawk because of the built in scope mounts. But something about the Super's appearance is not attractive to me (yeah I know, they shoot just fine). If the 22 Hornet came in a standard Redhawk, I think I'd consider ordering one.

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
If they had a Bisley style Super Blackhawk single action in .22 Hornet or K-Hornet, that would trigger my 'buy' impulse.

I've yet to find a 10" or 14" T/C in .22 Hornet (not just the barrel).

RSIno1

Hunter
Too bad they didn't make it in .223, Probably too long, but ammo available would make it a good seller.
OA length is too long to fit the cylinder. The 221 Fireball is short enough but I'll stick with my XP100 for that one. No FPS robbing cylinder gap.
One of the 410 revolvers may be good to adapt to something like 223 or even 30-30.

Attachments

• xp100.jpg
    xp100.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 32

gnappi

Single-Sixer
I am very interested in more info about this rechambering
The only thing on the Ruger site I can see different than the standard SRH is it's 66 ounces compared to the 9 1/2" SRH in .44 mag's 58 ounces.

There's LOTs of info on the web comparing the Hornet and K hornet.

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
I was reading on another forum these guns were produced at the beginning of the pandemic and just now being released . Had anyone else heard this?

chet15

Hawkeye
I'm not sure about the planned release date, but these have been available to employees for a couple years.
Chet15

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
I'm sure some folks will be salivating for it but I think they'd sell more to .357 mag nuts like me. Still waiting for my Blackhawk Hunter in .357mag too. Personally I'd prefer .38Spl but I'm willing to nod to the louder one for such a big gun.

daveag.

Single-Sixer
This might satisfy my urge for a .22 Jet, S&W model 53. I will buy one as soon as I can find it. Problem with a 53 is price upwards of $2,000 - $2,500.

Latest posts