357 Mag better than 10mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Many of the guys in Alaska who are out there in the 'danger zone' where nasty coastals roam are moving to 10mm autos opposed to .44 mags or heavier. That tells me all I need to know if I head out there salmon fishing, hunting or whatever. In fact, I'll take that same 10mm when I'm in the woods w big black bears also. Turning a corner of a tight path and coming face to face with a big, surprised boar at 20' might not give enough time to get quick killing shots on a charger when one is armed with a heavy recoiling revolver. One can pump off a good amount of BB heavy 10's surprising quick. I'll follow the lead of those Alaska guys who are out there a lot

Dan in MI

Staff member
You can't really do a 100% apples to apples comparison of two different calibers. Bullet diameter, weight and construction will most likely prevent a same/same comparison. Now, for the calibers discussed, a 10" Contender could knock out most of the other variables and give a reasonably good comparison.

That would still leave the issue that even with an identical as possible bullet the completed round is not optimal for a given caliber in the test thereby giving an advantage to one round over the other.

He compared two different calibers for two different handgun platforms that normal people are using for similar uses. So if you still like to dress up like Wyatt Earp or something get a 357. If you are living in this century get a 10mm. They will both make substantial holes through substantial things. If everything was absolutely equal it wouldn't be a comparison.

Last edited:

Dan in MI

Staff member
He compared two different calibers for two different handgun platforms that normal people are using for similar uses. So if you still like to dress up like Wyatt Earp or something get a 357. If you are living in this century get a 10mm. They will both make substantial holes through substantial things. If everything was absolutely equal it wouldn't be a comparison.

Exactly. You need to define what you are comparing then run the tests. Are you comparing the ammo capability? The gun? The combo of maximized both? Until you define the test, the variables can't be ruled in or out.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
I prefer .357, mainly because those funny looking rounds without the rims do not fit in my revolver, so that settles it.

At Shedhorn Sports in Ennis, MT, I talked to a few of the salesmen around the store who were hiking and hunting guides. Most of them carried Glock 10mm pistols for personal defense against bears. There are a few different 10mm "bear" loads available that are effective for the purpose. Many of those folks used to carry 6 shot revolvers in 357, 41, 45 Colt and 44 mag. Most of them now carry Glock 10 mm's due to the increased firepower and lighter weight.

Last edited:
... Are you comparing the ammo capability? The gun? The combo of maximized both? Until you define the test, the variables can't be ruled in or out.

Exactly right! And that's not all that people compare - I suspect that a majority of people who buy a 10mm instead of a .357/.41/.44 magnum do so because they prefer auto pistols (especially true for younger shooters), or simply because automatics tend to be cheaper than revolvers (something most shooters consider). And the claim that you can send more rounds down range, faster, with a 10mm might be better phrased as: "Stick with a firearm you can control."

Speaking of which, people are constantly buying guns they don't need - that's one reason gun companies, and magazines that publish gun stories, stay in business. Years ago, I used to go shooting with a fisheries biologist from Texas (an A&M guy, not a "tea sip" ;^). One trip to the range, he showed up with a brand new .375 H&H Sako in an Mannlicher-type stock, with a Leupold low-power scope mounted - an absolutely beautiful rifle. He explained that it wasn't quite new; he had got it for a couple hundred bucks, from his next-door neighbor. His neighbor had bought it years earlier, because he wanted a rifle that could handle anything in North America, and maybe a trip to Africa, too; after reading a lot of books & magazines, he bought the Sako rifle & Leupold scope.

One trip to the range was enough - he fired three rounds, took the rifle home, and put it in his closet (my buddy had also received that original box of ammo, with 17 live rounds & 3 empty cases in it). It sat in that closet for years, until he sold it to the nice guy next door from Texas. We all know the moral of the story - 'not the right gun for that shooter'.

But we still see these silly articles, "which gun/cartridge/loading is better for (fill-in-the-blank)", and then somebody will opine that "Oh, yeah, (fill-in-the-blank) is the best for (fill-in-the-blank)", forgetting once again that one size never, ever fits all.

FWIW, my friend from Texas loved that .375! He shot up most of that box of ammo while we were at the range, and told me the recoil wasn't as bad as his .300 Win Mag (which I was used to ;^). He actually talked me into shooting his new .375 - and I almost got a case of "scope eye", thank you very much! It was definitely the right gun for him, but not quite right for me.

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

Last edited:
The whole reason I bought/like the 10mm is still the same as it was when I bought the first one. It is essentially a semi auto 357 with a higher capacity.

Not better, not more powerful, not "almost a 44 mag".

I think it's mostly a matter of whatever works for you. I've heard some folks complain that a couple of auto pistols I own have grips that "feel like a 2x4!" I think they feel fine in my hands, but I wear XL gloves (that are sometimes too tight for me), and for someone with smaller hands those pistols might be too big. So, maybe an automatic with a single stack mag will feel better to some folks.

But if you're thinking about buying an 8-rd 10mm, maybe you'll want to consider a 7- or 8-rd .357 revolver as well, especially if it feels better in your hands, or you already own & shoot one, or just like to reload .357. FWIW, some folks have noted that revolvers don't suffer failures to feed/extract/eject, which might also be worth considering. And maybe if you already own & shoot a big bore handgun (I knew a guy who carried a .460 Rowland), you might decide you don't really need anything smaller like a 10mm.

I've got nothing against 10mm - I've been finding quite a bit of 10mm brass at the range where I shoot, and if I can pick up another two or three hundred free cases, I might buy one. A 10mm automatic would be a heck of a lot cheaper than some other handguns I want, like a nice .41 Magnum!

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc.
:)

RC44Mag

Buckeye
I was on the edge a couple months ago, .357 or 10mm, hmmmm. I have a decent number of autos and not a one wheel gun. Was leaning S&W M&P 2.0 10mm but my connection hit a brick wall on his annual allotment and my nice discount went out the window. So I said this is my time after many years to get the .357 I've always wanted, besides a first gen Python. I picked up a S&W 686 4". In advance of it arriving I bought a bunch of .38, .38+, and the hottest Underwood and Buffalo Bore I could get my paws on. It devoured all with very manageable recoil.

Brought my new P365x with us and wife shot both. I got the Sig for her but at the end of the day I asked her which she liked best, surprised she answered the S&W! She can handle recoil pretty well.
Well the Sig is now my new CC and the .357 is…..not hers but she gets to use it. Very pleased I finally added a revolver to the safe. By the way, I got the 6 shot, guess I'm too old school to go 7.
The 10mm will likely come next year.