.357 Old Model Blackhawk Rear Sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pete

Single-Sixer
Does the rear sight on an Old Model .357 sit higher in the frame(as relates to bore center line) than the rear sight on an Old Model Flat Top?

I have to say YES because when you try and "flatten" ( file off or mill) the protected sight ears to make one into a flatop, you have to taper upward on the way back or you will cut into the cross pin hole............ 8) :roll: :wink:

Pete

Single-Sixer
Thank you! The reason I ask is I am seeing several heights of front sights on the revolvers I am asking about,all in .357 magnum caliber and 4 5/8 inches in length.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
My OM flat top and post '62 ribbed frame 357s have sights at the same height. But I have observed variations in front sight heights on both models, that are not relevant to the differences in the frame top strap style.

Pete

Single-Sixer
Thank you for your reply! I am seeing the same and am puzzled as to why.I changed barrels on a '62 dated revolver and the barrel had the short front sight.I had to change the front sight as the revolver was hitting high.Now I have found a very nice barrel and the front sight is sort of intermediate between the high and low sights I have seen.All of this on a .357 gun and a 4 5/8's inch barrel.

normally, as to the barrel to rear sight relationship, for Rugers the shorter barrels always had the taller FRONT sight, longer barrel, shorter front sight...I thought your question was as to the position of the hole in the top strap flattop versus protected ear rear sight guns......... :roll:

Pete

Single-Sixer
Thank you very much! What generated these questions was a barrel change I did on a '62 dated gun with the rear sight protection ears.The barrel I put on the revolver was from a flat top and had a short front sight,it was 4 5/8 inches long.After the change I tried the revolver at the range and with the rear sight cranked all the way down I was still hitting high. I thought that maybe the rear sight placement was just a little higher than the flat top frame and this was the reason for the revolver now shooting high.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
If you pulled the rear sight on a flat top and a ribbed old model you could determine for sure by measuring from the bottom of the sight trough to the top of the firing pin in the hammer channel.