4" .38 Special Speed Six w/lanyard ring.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

We're losing sight of what this scarce offering is.
Yes, an auction house may have no clue what they are selling. They have no clue how to describe it. I'm sure they have a book of drivel that can be used to describe anything from cars to candle sticks. I look past all that.

What I see is a scarce overrun of a military revolver contract. In the civilian world, I've seen only one of these in 40+ years. And I own it. I trained on these in the Army, so it was important to my collection.

My original reply to this post was only, this is an important revolver for collectors. If you're not a collector, it may not be important. And with all the scams going on in the gun trading world, I hope this is a legitimate offering. I hope one of my collector buddies ends up with this offering.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
SS-84L_announcement.jpg

The shipper on mine shows the same contract number on the 4th line
SS84L-Package.jpg

SS84L-Right-Close.jpg

I also have one like the auction gun, marked SPEED SIX instead of SS84L and without the U.S. marking, but I don't find any pictures of it.

MinorLV

Ruger Six Series and DA Collector
Fantastic for a DA collector. I have a couple US stamped guns in my collection including a SS84L. The SN is slightly higher than WMG but no box/papers. Actually had a line on the consecutive gun but the owner passed it to his son…which I can appreciate

WMG,

Going to send you a PM.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
@MinorLV questioned what an SDA-84G (as specified in the contract announcement I posted above) might be, and I had no idea. Never heard of the "G" suffix. After searching the RENE Ref, which does not define the G, I did find an unpublished note from Chad that says:

NOTE: The model SDA-84G is the one without lanyard loop. These have a serial number on the bottom of the butt which has a large space between the prefix and dash, and the five digits at the end of the serial number (for installing a lanyard loop).

That really makes it hard for collectors to spot one! It would look just like a standard SDA-84 (4" blue .38 Police Service Six) except the serial number having a wide gap and no dash, and sellers often to not show the butt where the SN is. Anyone have one???

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
WMG,

I checked the safe and looked at my US guns. I do have a SDA-84G. It is roll marked Service Six with US stamp and the SN is exactly as you describe above (wide gap so there is space for the lanyard). The SN is in the range and the silver protective sleeve is dated Aug. 76.
Well, that certainly is interesting! I guess I didn't connect the dots that those would be U.S. marked, but since they are, they would at least be easier to spot from the side! Congrats on owning the first one known - you should report the serial number to @chet15 for inclusion in the Ref.