41 Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
"But the flattop is a mid frame!"

Not all of them.

In the beginning,, the first OM .357's & .44's were Flattops, and on a medium frame. The Super Blackhawk came out with a larger frame,, and by 1963,, Ruger transitioned to the "protected ears" and larger frame. Gone were the original FT's.
Then, the New Model Flattops were introduced on the mid-sized frame,, in .357. BUT,,, due to the level of loads,, the .41 magnum, and the .44 Magnum Flattops were built on the large frame.

As our dear departed FlatGate would say; "Get the books!" (Meaning, study the history!)
The original 44 Magnum FT was on the large frame as have all of the 44 and 41 Mags.

contender

Ruger Guru
"The original 44 Magnum FT was on the large frame as have all of the 44 and 41 Mags"

You are correct. When I typed that,, I was thinking along the lines of the topstrap frame and sights,, and got it wrong. I do recall reading somewhere that they did initially build some of the test guns in .44 mag but they didn't withstand the pressures.
Yes,, the original .44 Mag Ft did have a larger main frame to allow the use of the larger caliber.
I stand corrected.

moparclan

Single-Sixer
My two newest 41 Magnums. These are Williams Shooter Supply Ruger Flattops from 2011. Unfired at this time, but will probably fire one of them this Friday, Sept. 15th. 2023.
My 48 prefix .41 mag. 4-5/8"
DSC00202.JPG