.45 ACP Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RonS

Single-Sixer
I was curious if anyone else would like to see a .45 ACP only version of the .45 LC/ACP Redhawk.

Only accurate guns are really interesting. (Unless they have a third position on the safety. :) )

dbarale

Obsolete
Yes, I would. The one I have will likely never see a 45colt load and it would be nice to be able to use the cheaper and stronger moonclips for the s&w 625

DPris

Buckeye
Been lobbying with Ruger for it.
MIGHT be a possibility.
Denis

alexcue

Bearcat
dbarale said:
Yes, I would. The one I have will likely never see a 45colt load and it would be nice to be able to use the cheaper and stronger moonclips for the s&w 625

If it's a 45 ACP only, would a moonclip be required?

alexcue

Bearcat
Thanks Denis, That makes sense. Had SA headspacing with cylinder in the mind, usually they fall right out.

DPris

Buckeye
There's no good reason Ruger could not properly dimension the chambers to create reliable ignition headspacing without clips on a dedicated .45 ACP-only Redhawk.

S&W used to, it could be done here.
I don't count on empties dropping out, too much affected by brass, lead loads, dirt, etc. after a few rounds.
Nice when they do, but I have no range-only guns & prefer reliable extraction & ejection in the field. :)
Denis

k22fan

Blackhawk
Just in case Ruger's marketing dept. or Jason at Lipseys reads this thread I'll add that if they sell a .45 ACP only RH that uses standard G.I./S&W/Colt clips I will buy one or more. Head space it on the case mouth please and make sure .45 Auto Rim chambers.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I am not an expert by any means, but I also agree that if done the only way to do it is to make it so no moon clips needed.

contender

Ruger Guru
While I fully understand some folks issues with moon clips,,, I think it'd be actually better,,, marketing wise,,, if Ruger did use moonclips for such a gun. Why you ask?
Competition shooters want to be able to reload quickly, and moonclips are the fastest way to do so. S&W has been the only gun for such games for so long that many of us would love to use a different brand to enjoy the games. Heck,,, I'd consider selling my 2 S&W revolvers that use moons if Ruger built us a good one for competition.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
I have one of the new Redhawks that shoots both the 45 ACP and 45 Colt cartridges. I like the gun a lot.

But, I would love to see a Redhawk in 45 ACP that was capable of using the 45 Auto Rim cartridge as well. I would like it to use the thicker moon clips used by the S&W 25 and 625 revolvers - including the RIMZ nylon moon clips for practice.

RonS

Single-Sixer
Thicker clips would be good, I have destroyed a number of the clips for my S&W 627 trying to load them, and I have one of the loading tools from Dillon. If Ruger would make a .45 ACP Redhawk just like the convertible I would trade in the Smith in a minute.

They got the styling on the convertible just right, I hope it is an indication of more guns with classic lines to come.

DPris

Buckeye
Ruger's clips are very easy to load & unload, they don't hold the cases as tightly as Smith's, and you don't need a tool with the Rugers.
Denis

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
DPris said:
Ruger's clips are very easy to load & unload, they don't hold the cases as tightly as Smith's, and you don't need a tool with the Rugers.
Denis
They are also a good bit thinner than the ones used in the Smith. I have had two clips for the 9mm LCR bend slightly while loading them by hand and these now bind the cylinder. While I have not yet had this problem with my Redhawk, the potential is there.

eveled

Hawkeye
Rons, There are a lot of variance in .357/.38 brass, if it is hard to load the moon clips, try a different brand. One brand I could only load every other round into the moon clips. I use the factory 8 shot clips for my 327, my 627 is not cut for moon clips.

No way I'd trade 8 .357's for 6 .45acp's.

DPris

Buckeye
Yes, they are thinner.
I had no bending during testing with two convertible Reds and mixed brass brands, and they were very easy on my fingers.
Denis

RonS

Single-Sixer
I had not taken the variation in undercut width into account when I bought my Smith. Since it is not used for extraction the undercut is unimportant in revolver brass so apparently SAAMI spec. does not hold it very tightly, unlike the ACP brass. (Haven't looked up the drawing, that is gunshop info but from an employee who owns a moon clipped S&W like mine.)

I have three brands of moon clips so far and some work with some brands of brass and some will be bent and destroyed just trying to load the last two rounds. The main issue to me is that it is difficult to find that sweet spot where the rounds don't sag but can still be put into the clips.

Right now I am still debating, trade it in on a Ruger (if they make an ACP only version that shows promise of excellent accuracy) or keep it and find a combination of brass and clips that is like Baby Bear's porridge and just stock up.

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
I been thinking about buying one of these Redhawks. But if I cant use .45 auto rim brass its a deal breaker.
Can you use the auto rim brass in these revolvers?

Latest posts