75th Anniversary .22 pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

My question is: what chamber will these 75th anniversary models have? My MK II target has a tighter chamber than my other Marks. I discovered this with some Super X 22lr purchased during the panic of '13. They would not chamber in the MK II target even with extra force on the bolt. They do chamber in 10/22 and other Marks that I have. One way to find out if I ever see one for sale!

Jerry
To address my own question - I now have a Mark IV 75th anniversary model and the "oversized" rounds from 2013 that do not chamber in my MK II target do chamber readily in the MK IV 75th target model. Of the 50 or so rounds I tried they all chambered and 80 to 90% fired! The duds would not fire in another gun either so I do not blame the FTF on the MK IV 75th. No FTF with any other ammo tried.

Now I do not have means to accurately measure the chambers in either. Looking into the various specs for 22LR chambers gives a lot of options. I'll just be content to think of my MK II target as a match type chamber and the MK IV 75th target as not a match type.

Have fun,
Jerry

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
For those of us new to the game who may be confused by the terminology Ruger or other sellers may use, what are the distinctive characteristics between a Standard and a Target?

My first Ruger was a new MK II Goverment Model 6-7/8", but all I've noticed on Rugers since were bull barrel vs tapered barrel. Only in the IV series did I notice the nicely engraved "Target" model.

Maybe photos?

I believe the difference is in the sights.

Fully adjustable rear = "Target"

"Fixed" rear sight (drift-adjustable for windage) = "Standard"

Lots of misunderstanding of the terms. GunBroker is often full of older Ruger Standard Model pistol that are labeled as "MKI." MKI had a fully rear sight, a la a newer Target model.

I'm not sure whether the "Target" moniker was ever used with the first generation guns, or not. I think the Target name came with the MKII series. (my favorite)

Lots of misunderstanding out there… maybe on my part, too!
(We'll see who corrects my inevitable errors. 🤭)

Last edited:
yessir the very first Mark I guns were marked on the end of the box
Target Pistol.........

Attachments

• 3 OM 22 boxes 5-20.JPG
    3 OM 22 boxes 5-20.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 31

contender

Ruger Guru
Many gun owners don't use the correct terminology when describing a Ruger. The early .22 semi's were known as a "Standard" model, and have 2 barrel lengths. 4-5/8" & 6", along with fixed sights.
When Ruger introduced the adjustable sighted guns,, they called them a "Target" model. Then to help identify other guns differently from the fixed sighted guns,, they added the MKI as a model designation. Later on,, after a few modifications to the gun, the MKII came out. The use of "Standard Model" was used through the MKII line if my memory is correct. It separated the fixed sighted guns from models with adjustable rear sights and different barrel styles.

So yes,, there were "Target" models long before the MKIV model.

As our beloved Flatgate used to say; "Read the books!"

As for the chambering & all,, I can't say one way or another about my MKIV 75th Anniversary gun. I'm keeping it NIB.

"Many gun owners don't use the correct terminology when describing a Ruger."

It's interesting because it has only been thru the long-established terminology born of the Ruger collecting hobby that the "proper" names of all the models and features are even known and used. Pretty sure Ruger didn't/doesn't really care about this as it really doesn't impact their business to any great extent. We have Chet15 and a few other dedicated Rugerfiles to thank for helping our hobby to come to some sort of common nomenclature, and RugerForum to thank for providing a place where we can all get together to maintain a good working knowledge of all the ins and outs of Rugerdom. :)

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I don't have the box so I can't prove it, but my stainless tapered 4" mkII with fixed sight I don't believe was called a Standard. The thing is you can call a Ruger vaquero large frame an " old" model Vaquero all you like because Ruger even put " new model" on most of the newer ones. Collectors exclusively use the term "old" to describe 3 screw lockwork. Who's to say which is right? I think especially on the Vaqueros the publics got us beat.

Part I:
I don't know what the box would have said, but this Ruger publication called it a Mark II Standard.
IMG_8226.jpeg

——
Part 2:
Many confuse "old Vaquero" with "Old Model Vaquero," or "New Model" with "New Vaquero."

All Vaqueros are New Models. Old Model Rugers are generally accepted to be the "three-screw" frame.

Only some Vaqueros are "New Vaqueros." I believe almost all New Vaqueros come built on the mid-sized frame, and have XR3 grip frame. The one exception that I'm aware of is the New Vaquero chambered in .44 Mag. I believe that is on a full-sized frame.

It would help if people just used "Vaquero and "New Vaquero."

Leaving the word "old" out of the equation completely would help clear up a lot of confusion. Unfortunately that horse left the barn many years (and about 10,000 GunBroker auctions!) ago. 🤣

Regarding the public having us "beat…" I agree, if for no other reason than we're outnumbered. 😳

Ignorance runs strong in our society… and that seemingly goes double for the BS slung in the gun shop, or gun show! 😂

——
Part 3:
HOLY COW, I've become whiny and preachy! 😳

I'm going to get off of "screen time," and go do something where I don't come off as some know-it-all jerk! 🤠

protoolman, it wasn't my intention to pick on you… just continuing the conversation. Have a great day! 👍

Last edited:
As far as I know all original "Vaqueros" (prefix 55 thru 58) have XR3-RED grip frames. Then the "New Vaqueros" (prefix 510) have the older style XR3 grip frames except for the Bisley variations which of course use the Bisley grip frame. Info from Chad's Reference of Ruger Firearms, Volume One.

Then the most recent ones dropped the "New" from the name, and I don't know which grip frame they use. :rolleyes:

And yes, all Vaqueros are New Models, using the transfer bar action with only two thru-frame pins instead of three screws.

Last edited:
Many gun owners don't use the correct terminology when describing a Ruger. The early .22 semi's were known as a "Standard" model, and have 2 barrel lengths. 4-5/8" & 6", along with fixed sights.
Contender, the length of the barrel on the original fixed sight pistol was 4&3/4" and later the 6" model was added making the RST4 and RST6. The 4&5/8" barrel was the Blackhawk. All wonderful handguns too! My favorite configuration is the RST6. It balances perfectly in my hand.

Latest posts