7mm stw

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dodgefreak8

Bearcat
Just wanted to show off my ruger no.1 in 7mm stw. Been a fun rifle. Added the hicks accurizer years ago now looking for a kepplinger set trigger.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230804_204853_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230804_204853_Facebook.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 77

contender

Ruger Guru
Sweet!!!!!!!

There's a bit of a back story about that caliber & how it came about.

Apparently,, a local gunsmith was building custom rifles,, for folks to shoot very long range. There's a local place,, called "Shining Rock Wilderness" where hunting is legal. Accessible via the Blue Ridge Parkway. Some folks found a few places where they could park,, and glass across a valley, and spot deer. Then, they'd try & shoot them. This was long ago,, before many of the more modern long range hunting stuff was around.
The local gunsmith,, and a few of his friends would do this. He built some different guns,, and finally settled upon what he called his "8 by 7 Magnum." He'd build them with bull barrels,, and custom stocks etc. I know a couple of brothers who went together & had him build them one.
Apparently,, Layne Simpson was doing the same kind of hunting in the same area,, and saw several of these rifles in the 8 by 7 Mag.
He took the idea,, and ran with it,, getting the readers of ST to help name this "new" caliber.
They decided upon the "7mm Shooting Times Westerner."

When I queried the gunsmith about it,, he admitted that he was a bit miffed at first by Layne stealing his idea. But he also said he got over it,, and besides he was the only guy around building them, and when it was introduced & suddenly popular,, he had a LOT of work.

I've shot the brothers custom gun,, as well as a few of the other customs he built. When built right,, they could & would deliver.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
My son guided a guy a couple of times who was into the ultra long range hunting game (I use that word deliberately). He favored the .30/378 Weatherby. I shot it a few times (once at a coyote at 500+ yards, missed). It had a brake on it that was very effective - recoil was negligible but the shock wave coming off that muzzle brake was awful, even to the shooter. Felt like someone had swatted you in the face with a rolled-up wet towel.