A few things from a neighbor's WW2 stuffsack

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cleaning out the last of his things- I ran across this funny card with writing on both sides. I thought it was worth sharing. Also, he carried a copy of this poem with him.

Attachments

• 53535896153_08bd931e3f_c.jpg
    53535896153_08bd931e3f_c.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 174
  • 53536031019_9b71db8824_c.jpg
    53536031019_9b71db8824_c.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 53535907423_622eb65b99_c.jpg
    53535907423_622eb65b99_c.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 180
  • 53536041944_e3637eced2_c.jpg
    53536041944_e3637eced2_c.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
any singer 1911's?
No. Another local guy had one. No idea what his family did with it. As for this guy- I listed and sold his WW2 guns and German medals on here. Sold some here- and the rest on GB.
8mm Mauser sniper rifle with 26" barrel
JP Sauer & Sohn 16 gauge double barrel
1918 Luger with original holster and 2 mags- numbers matching pistol
Walther P38, 2 mags and holster with German insignia
Walther PPK with 2 mags and holster
multiple German medals and coins
German bars and other military insignia
Nazi flags

I believe he went over the battlefield and "collected" war souvenirs.

I had to look up 'CCC' which is in the next to the last line in the poem... "California Conservation Corps". which probably means before WWII but during the depression ?
Nope. CCC was Civilian Conservation Corps. They were responsible for almost all of the national parks (surveying, building trails, etc...)

The Civilian Conservation Corps from the beginning was highly influenced by the United States Army. The initial obstacle faced by the CCC was transporting hundreds of thousands of men to their new work sites. Most of the men lived in the east and a great majority of the camps were in the west. Only the Army had the ability and the infrastructure to transport that large a number of people. The camps were spread throughout the United States and the territories, and were constructed, supplied, and maintained by the U.S. Army.

The camps were not military camps; however, they were run much like a military camp. You rose early in the morning, answered role, participated in exercise drills and had breakfast. You then received your assignment for the day. The older men were the leaders. You were expected to listen to and respect their orders. You always kept your bunk made and your area in the barracks clean.

World War II brought an end to the CCC. The country needed all of its resources for the war effort and there was no longer funding for the CCC. The three million men, who served in the CCC, easily transitioned into military life. They were disciplined, trained in team work, and use to hard work. They were ready to join American forces in the fight against tyranny.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Nope. CCC was Civilian Conservation Corps. They were responsible for almost all of the national parks (surveying, building trails, etc...)

The Civilian Conservation Corps from the beginning was highly influenced by the United States Army. The initial obstacle faced by the CCC was transporting hundreds of thousands of men to their new work sites. Most of the men lived in the east and a great majority of the camps were in the west. Only the Army had the ability and the infrastructure to transport that large a number of people. The camps were spread throughout the United States and the territories, and were constructed, supplied, and maintained by the U.S. Army.

The camps were not military camps; however, they were run much like a military camp. You rose early in the morning, answered role, participated in exercise drills and had breakfast. You then received your assignment for the day. The older men were the leaders. You were expected to listen to and respect their orders. You always kept your bunk made and your area in the barracks clean.

World War II brought an end to the CCC. The country needed all of its resources for the war effort and there was no longer funding for the CCC. The three million men, who served in the CCC, easily transitioned into military life. They were disciplined, trained in team work, and use to hard work. They were ready to join American forces in the fight against tyranny.
My Dad was on the US Army CCC staff that ran Camp Steamboat near Roseburg, Oregon in 1937. He was a 1st Lieutenant here in this panoramic photo.
IMG_2565.jpeg

BearBiologist

Hunter
I'll never forgive my redneck, throwback brother for selling all my dad's stuff from his time in Burma during WWII (Much of it for pennies for the bubble gum machines!). My dad served as ground crew and crew chief for the 14th Army Air Corps (successor to the Flying Tigers), under Chennault. He had a leather flight jacket, with a "Blood Chit" (see sample picture below), $2 bills from Hawaii, Id cards, AR pamphlets, silk survival maps, etc.). He flew "The Hump" several times and was rated to fly the c-47 (but not to take off or land). He also served as an MP in Delhi and the only thing I have is a Kukri (one of two he bought off some Gurkha troops) and an Ivory Buddha my niece stole from my brother for me!

1711219262658.png

For the "youngsters":

"
In the Second Sino-Japanese War prior to World War II, foreign volunteer pilots of Flying Tigers carried notices printed in Chinese that informed the locals that this foreign pilot was fighting for China and they were obliged to help them.[5] A text from one such blood chit translates as follows:

I am an American airman. My plane is destroyed. I cannot speak your language. I am an enemy of the Japanese. Please give me food and take me to the nearest Allied military post.
You will be rewarded."

Last edited: