A question concerning the Ruger 10/22 Takedown with Magpul Backpacker Stock.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Billy1953

Single-Sixer
I am considering purchasing a Ruger 10/22 Takedown with the Magpul Backpacker Stock. I have been to a few gun shops, however, none has had this particular one in stock, therefore, I may buy one online.

However, I am reticent of acquiring one without trying it out first as I have neck pain due to a pinched nerve and have problems being able to sight down the barrel of some rifles because of the way the stock is made.

Question: Has anyone had any issues with the 10/22 Takedown with Magpul Backpacker Stock as far as difficulties being able to sight correctly due to the way the stock is made?

Thank You,

Last edited:
I don't find it difficult at all.
20221009_085428.jpg

Billy1953

Single-Sixer
If you put a red dot on it with a higher mount, like an AR mount, it will keep you from having to lower your neck so much to aim.
Yes, however, it still would be best if I could use the iron sights also.

Thank you jeoduarnt.

cv540

Bearcat
I recently got one with the backpacker stock and really like it.
I will note that you do REALLY have to tuck your head down to use the iron sights supplied, more so than other rifles. The iron sights are very low. If I were you I would find one and try it to see if your neck issue will be a problem before buying.
Both the Takedown feature and the Backpacker stock are great features but do come at a significant cost over the standard 10-22s, so I would make sure they will work for you before investing in something that will be a "pain in the neck" for you.

Billy1953

Single-Sixer
I recently got one with the backpacker stock and really like it.
I will note that you do REALLY have to tuck your head down to use the iron sights supplied, more so than other rifles. The iron sights are very low. If I were you I would find one and try it to see if your neck issue will be a problem before buying.
Both the Takedown feature and the Backpacker stock are great features but do come at a significant cost over the standard 10-22s, so I would make sure they will work for you before investing in something that will be a "pain in the neck" for you.
Thank you,

cv540

You may have saved me a lot of distress as I was considering purchasing without trying it. However, your wise words have changed my mind, and I will persevere in finding one before I buy.
Again, Thank you. I really appreciate it.
P.S.
This is what makes this forum great.