A story from the past...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
If I have posted this before, forgive me for the repeat.

Years ago, around 1985 or so, I was at the shooting range one Saturday morning. Due to very strict rules, the range did not open until 10:00 a.m. So we often got there early, set up at a point on the line, then visited until opening time. One gent, an older man who had been a crewman on a B-17 out of North Africa, told this story. He was in Tunisia, I believe, and there was a bar frequented by American, British, Australian, and New Zealand service men, Air Force, Army, and Navy. Needless to say, it often was rowdy.

One evening a burly American sailor entered, and at the door annojnced, "I'm JoJo Markham from Memphis, Tennessee and I can whip any man in here." His challenge was promptlyanswered and he was true to his word. Local polikce were called, they also given the same treatment. Four MPs arrived, who joined those who had been whipped. Four more MPs arrived, and through strength of numbers finally subdued ol' JoJo and hauled him off.

In 1991 a friend of my, a co-worker, got married, and Nita and I attended the wedding, and the reception. The family were staunch Italian and Catholic, and gave a avish wedding and reception. At the wedding reception, Nita and I were seated at a table with another couple whom I knew from work. The groom joined us and as he did so, a graying, hulk of a man stood and announced, "Anybody can get a divorce. It takes a real man to stay married!"

I asked the groom if he knew the man. He responded, "Oh, that's Jojo Markham."

Bob Wright