Aimpoint Optics for AR15

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan_11

Bearcat
What is a reasonable price to pay for a basic Aimpoint scope for a AR15? I am trying to do some research before actually buying. Do you guys recommend a particular model? The ones I seen where between 4 hundred to 5 hundred dollars..Can they be got cheaper?

Are asking specifically about AimPoint brand or a 'dot optic' in general. AimPoints are fairly expensive but there are many other brand options in a wide array of prices.

Bullthrower338

Single-Sixer
I have several AR's with Aimpoint PRO optics, battery life is unbelievable, believe I've paid around 400 a copy or less

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Aimpoint PRO on my Colt for about 8 years now maybe more. Theyre expensive compared to a lot of other red dots but there are more expensive ones by Aimpoint and other makers but for me the PRO is the sweet spot as far as quality, reliability and price. You may be able to find one cheaper used but they hold their value well due to reasons I mentioned. Worth the cost of admission in my opinion.

My son, while in the 160th SOAR in Iraq/Afghanistan, frequently shot "practice rounds" with his "customers" - SEALS and DELTAs. They all used Trijicon ACOGs. Now, that was during the 2008–2010 time frame and scope technology has changed since then.

One thing my son preached was to decide why you want a sight, then select the optic that has the features which best suit your specific needs. Generalist sights will be good, but never the best. Don't be surprised if you need more than one style, depending on the circumstances: long-distance fixed-target shooting versus quick-target-acquisition-close-in moving targets, etc. Reticle shape, color and relative distance features are variables to consider. Cross hair sights, chevron sights, etc. are designed to fit specific circumstances. Red versus green reticles are, too. Fixed vs. variable magnification is another consideration. And fixed magnification opticals augmented with separate magnification opticals adds yet another variable. The choices are almost infinite.

Primary Arms makes a variety of good, low-cost, general-purpose sights, and their website has a great set of discussions that address the above issues. They carry their own brand as well as other makers' sights, and their prices are very competitive.

I bought a couple right after they first came out. Here is the aimpoint t2 on my colt. I remember paying 756 dollars for it with the base. It has been flawless the whole time. It still has the original battery in it.
20220228_092449.jpg

s4s4u

Hunter
Sig and Holosun make red dot sights that are dependable and functional for a lot less money. If you are going to be kicking in doors and leaping from helicopters you may need Aimpoint reputation. But for home defense and range blasting, there are much less costly options out there.

Dan_11

Bearcat
Sig and Holosun make red dot sights that are dependable and functional for a lot less money. If you are going to be kicking in doors and leaping from helicopters you may need Aimpoint reputation. But for home defense and range blasting, there are much less costly options out there.
Thanks buddy

Originally went with a Bushnell red dot scope. Why? It was cheap and decent. Then found an Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic Red Dot Reflex Sight with a QRP2 Mount. Bought it for around 400. I've seen used ones go for 350 or so. Anyway, love it. Has been on my Colt AR for 10+ years. Changed batteries once. Two years on this set.

I'd recommend this.

Attachments

• IMG_1663.jpeg
    IMG_1663.jpeg
    31 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1664.jpeg
    IMG_1664.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 61

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
You can snag the Aimpoint ACO's on arfcom for 300-350 and the PRO's for 325-400 (used). I prefer the Aimpoints to the ACOGs, the ACOG has TERRIBLE eye relief. You basically have to run it "nose to charging handle)

Dan_11

Bearcat
You can snag the Aimpoint ACO's on arfcom for 300-350 and the PRO's for 325-400 (used). I prefer the Aimpoints to the ACOGs, the ACOG has TERRIBLE eye relief. You basically have to run it "nose to charging handle)
Thanks buddy.