Aluminum cased ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Is it unreliable?

It's probably reliable in some firearms, but probably not in others. Also worth considering, I think some manufacturers say using it will void their warranty, and I think it's not recommended for certain types of guns (blow-back carbines like 9mm ARs, IIRC, which really surprised me).

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, IIRC, etc.
:)

3manfan

Single-Sixer
I've been shooting it in 9mm, .357 Mag & .45acp since they all came out decades ago.
I've never had a single problem with any of the thousands of rounds I've shot of it. Ever.
I just received yet another 1,000 round case of it in 115 grn 9mm from Bereli.
I don't need to collect any more 9mm brass, I've have more than I'll ever shoot out as long as I'll live so for match use, I've just been shooting Blazer aluminum for a couple of years now.
I think the folks that bash it must not have really shot it & are only furthering the urban legend that it's trash. It's not.

harley08

Blackhawk
For many years I carried Blazer aluminum cased 124 grain Gold Dot bulleted from a oddball run CCI did years ago. This ammo never failed me and was a perfect fit in the KP95DC I used at the time.
Just for the heck of it - I took one fired aluminum 9mm case and reloaded it. It worked fine but when I found the fired case it had split, so once fired weakens the aluminum case!
Rocko Rizzo

JBP

Single-Sixer
Is it unreliable?
I've used it for years in many of my revolvers and semi-auto handguns with never any problem. The instruction manual that came with my Marlin 1894 44MAG lever action says not to use them as their design is incompatible with its loading system.

Gopher

Single-Sixer
I've shot lots of it in .357 mag and 9mm in a Taurus PT99 and .45 in a PT945. My Glock 30 doesn't like it much. It tears up the case on extraction.

KIR

Sparks, NV
Worked for me. Half price in 9 mm when available. Indoor gun ranges were o.k. with it too.

larry8

Single-Sixer
I went to the Palmetto State Armory to shoot a few and the manager there took a magnet over all the ammo that I had. All my ammo was brass case, but he said that there are some manufacturers that brass plate the steel ammo and steel cased ammo is not allowed at that range. he said aluminum case is OK.

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
I was looking at cci website , you don't save much any more ? 357 for example, about 2 dollars a box ..........with brass you get a reloadable case, so what I see is aluminum these days is a last resort .