Ammo + muzzle brake for Ruger .45acp carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Got the new brake from Grizzlygunworks installed this morning and tried it out with Armscor 230gr FMJ, Hornady 220gr +P Critical Duty, and Underwood 255gr +P HCFN (coated). I've shot all of these during the break in period with the bare barrel, so stuck with them for comparison purposes.

All shots fired from the bench with a bipod.

Results:
Not much different with the Armscor range ammo with the brake on, except seemed to be a little help with muzzle rise. The other ammo felt like a little lighter recoil than the Armsco, and the muzzle rise appeared non-existent, or close to it. So I'd judge the brake lived up to it's advertising as regards +P ammo.

What I'd like to see is a .45acp cartridge designed specifically for carbine length semi-auto's that would take full advantage of the 16 inches of barrel. As far as I know there is no such animal at present, although the +P ammo comes a little closer to the potential for this gun imho. :)

Enigma

Hunter
You're asking for .45 Super: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45super.html

Keeps accelerating out to a 16" barrel, unlike ACP which decelerates after 8-10".

ETA: not sure about shooting in unmodified blowback carbines. May need new springs to prevent battering/early opening. Generally considered fine for gas and delayed blowback guns.
Don't overlook the .451 Detonics, .45 Win Mag, and doubtless several others that I'm overlooking.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
No rechambering for .45 Super, literally just a .45 ACP +P+ load in a reinforced case.
The Super and the Winmag would likely void the Ruger Warranty, but either would require a much heavier recoil spring and buffer. Underwood has both in stock, in 3 or 4 bullet designs, and the specs are impressive. But I think I'll wait for some other idiot to try them out in their LC carbine and post it on Youtube. :devilish:

NikA

Buckeye
.45 Win Mag is about 50% longer than the ACP, I don't see feeding that in any .45 ACP magazine. I'm sure Ruger wouldn't support a firearm that's been rechambered to another cartridge.

I'd play with this if I had an LC, but I went the non-blowback route for a .45 carbine.

Guv

Bearcat
Federal 230gr +P HST picks up about 100fps with a 16" barrel. Other +P ammo appears to do the same. 220-230grs will make almost 1100 fps witch is good for me.

Guv

Bearcat
The Super and the Winmag would likely void the Ruger Warranty, but either would require a much heavier recoil spring and buffer. Underwood has both in stock, in 3 or 4 bullet designs, and the specs are impressive. But I think I'll wait for some other idiot to try them out in their LC carbine and post it on Youtube. :devilish:

45win mag is considerably longer. It would take a major re-design for it to work.

s4s4u

Hunter
The 450 SMC and the 45 Super will chamber and have more power to utilize all the pipe. Muzzle brakes don't do much for pistol calibers because they run at low pressure. You may relieve muzzle rise a little, depending on design, but I don't bother with brakes on PCC's