Amtrak in Oregon City...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

One thing about trains you should know. When they first started crisscrossing the country passenger trains had the right of way and freights would be side tracked to allow them to pass. These days freight has the right of way and it's not uncommon to see an Amtrak side tracked waiting for a freight train to pass. It's all about where the money is.

trebor44

Blackhawk
Idaho, East of Boisemento, or is it Boisangelos
The "history of railroads" in the US is quite interesting. And is one of many reasons for the checkerboard squares on the 'geo' maps! The government has been 'involved' in a lot of railroad building, either direct or indirect. RR's are notorious for going bankrupt and recreating a "new" company with the same "board of directors"!

Maybe is Amtrak had competition it wouldn't be such a mess. Are Amtack employees union?
Amtrak is represented by the Transport Workers Union of America. I don't think their union status has much to do with the service. It has more to do with the equipment they run and freight having priority over passenger service. The last few times I have ridden Amtrak the trains I was on were sidetracked for express freight. Freight pays the bills for the railroads so it gets priority. Even trains like the Lakeshore Limited and City of New Orleans are secondary to the revenue brought in by container and bulk cargo.