Any Hulu, roku, Apple TV etc etc experts here ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
Just bought an Apple TV box, and am learning about all the available services.

Anybody know all about these things ? Recommendations ... What's free ... What's not ?

REV

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I just bought the Amazon firestick, with Amazon prime you get a bunch of movies and TV series.

737tdi

Hunter
Rev: I only know about one. HULU. A ton of their stuff is free and if it is not it lets you know. We use Amazon mostly but sometimes will use HULU for watching some of the classic series stuff. We don't use an Apple, we just use the Samsung smart TV access.

Karl

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I just bought the Amazon firestick, with Amazon prime you get a bunch of movies and TV series.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I bought the apple primarily because you can mirror IPods directly to the TV. I watch a lot of movies on the IPod and wanted to mirror the screen. It's seamless and works perfectly.

737 ... I thought Hulu was a pay service.

Thx for the info ... Keep it coming !

REV

737tdi

Hunter
737 ... I thought Hulu was a pay service.

Not for a lot of it. All of the older stuff is free, as I mentioned we access it through the smart TV or on my laptop. I haven't used it in a while so things could have changed. I'll check here in a bit and re-post.

Karl

737tdi

Hunter
OK: There you go, things change. Rev, the HULU site is totally different then less then a year ago. I tried to log in and my user profile was gone. ??? What a difference a few months make. Oh well, I won't pay them, I already pay for Dish and internet, my entertainment budget is exceeded already.

Karl

I've got a Roku... dern thing will lock up and you have to reboot, unplug, if you leave it on the end of a program or more specific waiting for you to say play the next episode....

Doesn't seem free to me.... I think I pay Roku $5 a month and then also pay Accorn the same amount .

ChiefMuzz

Blackhawk
If you have Amazon prime you can stream lots of movies and tv shows for free. Then just mirror it to the tv with Apple tv. If you wanted to splurge a Netflix membership is cheap and with that you have a huge trove of things to stream and mirror.

We have a smart tv and watch minimal tv except sports. Everything else we stream from Amazon.

Bud0505

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
I've got a Roku... dern thing will lock up and you have to reboot, unplug, if you leave it on the end of a program or more specific waiting for you to say play the next episode....

Doesn't seem free to me.... I think I pay Roku $5 a month and then also pay Accorn the same amount .

I had that same problem when I first got ROKU. Turns out it was the speed of my internet connection that was the problem.

Viking Queen

Blackhawk
I just got Roku a month ago. I haven't had any TV service for about a year. Got tired of expensive dish and/or cable with their contracts and extra fees. Where I live, an antenna will not work to get any service. I get my news from various sources on the internet.

I got the little Roku stick which is sort of like a largeish purple flash drive thingie, and then it has a small Roku remote to run the thing. You just plug it into the HDMI port on the back of the TV. It was the least expensive Roku option. I looked it up on Walmart on line and they had it for $39.99 in the store it was $49.99 so I just asked the store to match their online price....they did. Otherwise I would have ordered it from Walmart.com and had it sent "site to store" and picked it up there. Quite a convenient option.

There is no charge for a lot of the stuff on Roku. I have not activated anything on Roku which has a monthly payment involved, although there are options to do that. I do have Netflix which is $7.99 a month and watch it through Roku, although I can also watch Netflix on my ipad or laptop in addition to on the TV. You can also watch Amazon stuff through Roku if you have an Amazon account. Roku also includes a youtube channel which is really nice. You can watch any youtube video on your TV. This is especially helpful if you are watching "how to" videos like gun assembly, cleaning videos, or hickok45 or any of your other favorite youtube videos. Really nice to watch that on a big screen.

Another of the free channels is iheart Radio so I can listen to all kinds of radio stuff over my TV while I work around the house. I can listen to channels all over the country any time I want.

With Netflix I can watch movies, lots of TV series, some old, some fairly current. Right now I am hooked on watching some of the Marvel and DC comic series....like Agent of Shields, the Flash and Arrow. Quite fun and entertaining.

My internet connection is reliable and I have not had any interruptions in my service. I am happy. Viking Queen