Any Hunters out there?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KIR

Sparks, NV
For you hunters and any of you hunt from horseback? If Sarah Palin can machine gun from a helicopter, it must be legal somewhere to hunt from horseback. What protection if any protects the horse's hearing? Inquiring minds want to know.

Attachments

• Duck Hunters.jpg
    Duck Hunters.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Rabbits.jpg
    Rabbits.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 29
  • Deer Species.jpg
    Deer Species.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 32
  • Horsies.jpg
    Horsies.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 32

tunnug

Single-Sixer
While out camping with guns I've come across a couple of hunters on mule back, asked them what happens when they fire and both showed me anchors made out of rebar attached to the saddles, said find the nearest bush and toss it in, I guess they don't think about hearing damage.

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
We hunt from horses out west. Far as I know its not illegal anywhere. Typically we dismount and lay the rifle across the saddle

HW11

Single-Sixer
As an old man told me years ago, you can shoot off all of them one time, it's the second shot that gets tricky sometimes. I've had 2 you could shoot all you wanted from the saddle. Of the two I have now one doesn't like it at all the other one would probably kill you if you shot off his back. I'm not going to try it.

contender

Ruger Guru
Horses can be trained to accept gunfire off their backs. Mounted Cowboy Action shooters do it all the time.

And most of them are aware of the potential damage to the horses hearing. As such,, they also have "ear plugs" for horses.

But if I were on a hunting trip,, and on horseback,, I'd want to take care of my outfitter's animals, so I would dismount before shooting anything. Unless it was a very serious self defense situation. (And even then, I'd try to dismount before trying a shot!)

I've been hunting from horse back for over 30 years. I have never shot from a horse. 99% of the time it is:

1. Ride the horses to the ridge we want to sit and watch from.
2. Dismount, unsaddle, and long tie the horses to a tree.
3. Climb the 50 yards or so to the top of the ridge.
4. Sit and wait.

Horses are used for transportation only, not shooting rests. I did have a horse die on my though. Went from two horses for the two of us and the elk to one horse for the elk and I got to hike the 2 miles back to camp with a broken foot and a bent boot sole (steel shank in the sole)....

warren5421

Single-Sixer
Had a Morgan mare that you could shoot just about anything from her back. Had ear plugs for her and me. If she was on a North-South reenactment site she would run toward the cannon fire. They have to trust you or you will probily only get one shot. Unless you are a very good rider you and gun will be on the ground otherwise it will be the gun on the ground.

redhawker

Buckeye
I've never done it or tried to do it, but I don't see how you could get off an accurate shot from horseback. No good rest sitting in the saddle, and the horse is likely moving to one degree or another, and even if the horse holds perfectly still, it's still subject to some sudden movement just as you fire. Maybe as little movement as swatting a fly with its tail, but even that little movement might make you shoot off target. And, of course, that's not to mention the horse's probably violent movement that would likely result from the actual shot.

Shamus2022

Single-Sixer
Apropos of nothing: TE Lawrence (of Arabia) shot and killed several camels he was riding (charging) into combat. guess he never got used to that long neck.

Apropos of nothing: TE Lawrence (of Arabia) shot and killed several camels he was riding (charging) into combat. guess he never got used to that long neck.
Bravo Apropos, you know your History. Just watched Lawrence of Arabia for about the 100th time. Great Movie, actors Music, cinematography;

The Movie shows him shooting a Webley, but from every thing I have read it was a 1911'

jzdg9oU.jpg

Loved this great scene.
f4WbC70.jpg

"Lawrence used a variety of small arms during the war. On september 18, 1914, he received two Colt automatic pistols from America, sent at his request by a friend travelling there. (There was a shortage of pistols in England for several weeks after the war broke out.) Lawrence did not mention the model, but a letter from his brother Frank, who became an officer at the outbreak of the war and was killed in France in 1915, contains information that leads one to the conclusion that it could only have been a Colt Model 1911 in .45 caliber. Frank Lawrence wrote to T. E. Lawrence in September 1914:

The Colt is a lovely pistol. The more I examine it the more I like it. There is a vast gulf between it and the ordinary revolver.

If you want anything in connection with it which you don't want to write for I could get it for you. They keep two weights of bullets, I think 200 and 230 grains. The lighter weight has considerably higher velocity and penetrating power, though I suppose less shock.

This would indicate that both Frank and T. E. had Colt automatics that used the 200 or 230 grain bullets. In 1914 this would have been the .45 caliber Model 1911. (The British also used the Colt 1911 in .455 caliber, but this chambering was not introduced until 1915.)