Help Support Ruger Forum:

KIR

Sparks, NV
Off we go into the wild blue yonder...

Attachments

• Hi-Flyer.jpg
    Hi-Flyer.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 43
As a kid, when me and my friends earned some spending money, we'd go to the local "hobby" store and buy balsa wood in bulk and make our own, it was cheaper than buying the already made ones. Had a lot of fun and when they got too beat up to fly good, we'd tape on a firecracker (or 2 or 3 or...), light and let it fly.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
My ten year old son was participating in a science olympiad last school year. One of the events was a contest to see who could sustain the longest flight with a rubberband powered balsa plane. Obviously, we bought several and learned how to adjust everything for the best flight characteristics.
We had a blast. I forgot how much fun they were. Oh, they are not fifty cents anymore. I paid 16 bucks a pair for the ones without landing gear.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Those were often given away with a purchase from a convience store. Tape a firecracker behind the "cockpit", light the fuse and launch. With the wing set a just the right place, the plane would do an inside loop and explode just over your head. A firecracker would render it into four pieces. (A cherry bpomb was too heavy for flight.)

When my daughter was little, she got one and we launched it in the front yard. It was set to loop, and as it did she turned to watch it (it was not loaded with the firecracker) and it centered right in the middle of her forehead. She remarked, "Daddy, my head cracked like an egg!"

Bob Wright

Hell with the rich kids. I became a expert designer with plain ole paper.

What was really fun in the Summer in the South was Catching a June Bug (Beetle) and tying one of his legs to a light string. Yep, their leg would eventually break, but hey, their were thousands more.

Hertervillian

Saluki
I loved those things.

Quite memorable was an especially long flight. We had a HS football practice field across the street that was ideal for all kinds of childhood activities. Launched that little balsa wood flyer and the breeze caught it perfectly. It flew halfway down the field, a miracle of aviation for a 10 year old boy.

Memory has stuck for 50 years, I'd give a Kennedy Half Dollar for another memory like that.

They were fun to play with. I think they were $.19 when we used to have them. I knew a kid in school that used to make amazing paper planes. One time in the school auditorium he threw one of his planes and it did a triple loop. The loops were impressive but the final resting place is something that I can still picture today. The study hall monitor was reading a paperback book and not paying attention to what was happening in the auditorium. The plane looped under his paperback and the nose of the plane lodged itself about 2 inches up the monitors nose. He jumped up with a surprised scream and he had to pull the plane out of his nose which started to bleed profusely. The look on his face with that paper plane stuck in his nose was priceless!

RC44Mag

Buckeye
My ten year old son was participating in a science olympiad last school year. One of the events was a contest to see who could sustain the longest flight with a rubberband powered balsa plane. Obviously, we bought several and learned how to adjust everything for the best flight characteristics.
We had a blast. I forgot how much fun they were. Oh, they are not fifty cents anymore. I paid 16 bucks a pair for the ones without landing gear.
Well, how long did it fly?

Xrayist

Single-Sixer
I have probably 100+ flight hours between the two pictured. The "powered" one I had blew an engine(rubber band) during prep for flight...fortunately no damage to pilot and plane was repaired within a few minutes.

Yep. The ones earlier than the one shown had the number 94 on it and sold for $.10 in the late 1940s
They also had a version that the wings folded back so you could use a rubber band to shoot it into the sky. It sold for$.25.
Had a bunch of these also and bought some for my kids and grandkids.
1719936267172.png

Last edited:

Latest posts