AR question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'm wanting to buy a couple more AR 15 bolt carrier groups ,, just to have on hand and take advantage of some fathers day pricing ,, would you go with

Nickel Boron BBC with Carpenter 158 steel bolt or
Full Auto Profile Phosphate Coated Bolt carrier group or
Nitride MPI Full-Auto Bolt Carrier Group >> 9310 steel bolt

or some thing else
these are on

A couple of observations:
1) looks like the first two have Carpenter 158 bolts, which is what the military uses.
2) either NiB or nitride will be easier to clean than the phosphate finish.

For those reasons & FWIW, I would go with the Toolcraft NiB BCG (which apparently also has the biggest discount ;^). I imagine others here will offer recommendations, some of which may be better than mine!

As always IMHO, YMMV, FWIW, etc.
:)

Last edited:

krw

Blackhawk
Realistically, buy the cheapest one and go shoot it. You will not know difference. I'm a halfassd AR Snob, but in a dark room if handed one I coodn't tell diff between Colt, Aero, Larue or LWRC. Its all in what We want

NikA

Buckeye
9310 + nitride makes for an excellent inexpensive backup bolt.

9310 is very similar to C158 but a little more forgiving to manufacture.
Nitride is easy to clean and relatively easy to apply as a durable coating.

All else being equal (no proprietary design elements like dual ejectors, specialty extractors, etc.), I think 9310 is a safer bet than a small manufacturer properly treating C158.

Mike J

Hunter
My AR experience is somewhat limited but I have read positive things about the Toolcraft bolt carrier group. Being the difference is only $20 I would probably go with it. I would definitely choose either it or the one with the nitride finish for pretty much the same reasons as everyone else. I believe the nickel boron or nitride finish is superior to a phosphate finish.

s4s4u

Hunter
NiB is a coating and can flake off. Chrome is better if you are worried about that. Phosphate is all you need for a carrier. The bolt is of more importance.

NiB is somewhat self lubricating and makes cleaning so easy. Nitrided finishes are also easy cleaning and hard wearing. I would stay away from phosphated personally- they always seem to be a bear to clean.

Looking at the ad- I would definitely buy the Toolcraft. I think that's probably the highest quality one there. I also really like the FailZero brand, but they are not listed. The chrome Lantau unit looks nice but I have no personal experience with them.

Last edited:
these are the 2 that I ordered, price $79.99 and $99.99
Toolcraft Logo'd Carpenter 158 Nitride Full-Auto Bolt Carrier Group
Toolcraft Logo'd Premium 5.56 Nickel Boron BCG with Carpenter 158 Bolt

and then I ordered a couple cheaper knives, most items where with free shipping , so i'm only paying $9.99 total for shipping ,, so not too bad LOL

Yes Sir : I'm right there with you

one of the many things that is so great about this site , there's so many folks that will take their time to help out when asked ,, Many Thanks to all that responded