Best gun find of the year???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I picked up this Savage 99 in 30/30 manufactured in 1916 that's in excellent shape for its age. Also found a new in the box Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt/ACP from 1974.

Attachments

• IMG_20231025_173354192_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231025_173354192_HDR.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20230921_173834800.jpg
    IMG_20230921_173834800.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 25

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
A very good friend gave me a Ruger 10-22 with a Simmons 8 X 34 scope and Hogue Over Molded stock. I've already done a few things to it so I can use it for Steel Challenge Matches but I can't believe my friend just giving me the gun.

Upgrades included new TacSol barrel and a stock that I don't recognize. These were donated to me from another friend who said I was just a nice guy.

Attachments

• Ruger 10 22 from Glenn.jpeg
    Ruger 10 22 from Glenn.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 19

Bubbas358

Bearcat
No pics to post, but my best find of the year has to be the P95 that I won the bid for on gunboker for $160 (plus shipping and transfer fees). Just an old (last year of production model) blued P95 that has been rode hard and put up wet, but a bit of cleaning and lubing.....the thing is SMOOOOTH! The selling company said that it was purchased from the Arizona department of corrections :edit:**(Department of Public Safety)**, and not sure if it is a confiscation or duty weapon. I lean towards duty, as it has a ton of holster wear.

The second best find is a NIB stainless P95 that has not even been fired or had ammunition put into the magazine. Zero wear marks on anything, and the Ruger quality control sticker is still on the left side of the grip frame.

Last edited:
Mine would have to be a Remington XP-100, 221 Fireball built in 1973 but still about 98% condition. Even included the factory soft case.

I'd always had one in my bucket list, so when CZ offered a 527 American in .221 Fireball a few years back, I scratched my itch for a Fireball and treated myself. When I stumbled on this one as part of an estate sale earlier this year I just couldn't resist bringing it home to keep the CZ company.

Mine would have to be a Remington XP-100, 221 Fireball built in 1973 but still about 98% condition. Even included the factory soft case.

I'd always had one in my bucket list, so when CZ offered a 527 American in .221 Fireball a few years back, I scratched my itch for a Fireball and treated myself. When I stumbled on this one as part of an estate sale earlier this year I just couldn't resist bringing it home to keep the CZ company.
Nice score! The last XP-100 I found had been rechambered for .223 and I passed, otherwise it was in mint condition.

Still looking for a nice original one. LGS even has ammo in stock for it, but yet no .30 Carbine ammo in over a year now.. go figure.

I picked up this Savage 99 in 30/30 manufactured in 1916 that's in excellent shape for its age. Also found a new in the box Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt/ACP from 1974.
Usually there is a thread about everyone's favorite gun they acquired in the past year.

Hmm, I don't think I would say the brand new Sig I bought that didn't have an extractor.

Instead, I'd say the Smith and Wesson Model 17. I had wanted one of those for years and years. Sorry, I don't have any pictures right now.
My best find of 23 was a Ruger no1 in 264 Win Mag.

Hankus

Blackhawk
Traded a 41 mag to a RF member for this bucket list item 1998 45 Colt. I put a blued steel rod cover and Belt Mountain base pin. 255gr Keith @ 1000fps load is awesome to shoot
View attachment 36485
I picked one of these up in November'22 as a project gun. It's an awesome shooter, but a previous owner had let it get wet so there was significant rust on the cylinder and one side of the frame. I have the same grips but when I disassembled it for cleaning there was a price tag inside and it was marked "Eagle Grips". Are yours grips factory?

Attachments

• IMG_5119.jpeg
    IMG_5119.jpeg
    440.8 KB · Views: 26

Don Lovel

Hunter
I picked one of these up in November'22 as a project gun. It's an awesome shooter, but a previous owner had let it get wet so there was significant rust on the cylinder and one side of the frame. I have the same grips but when I disassembled it for cleaning there was a price tag inside and it was marked "Eagle Grips". Are yours grips factory?
Mine were factory
I had a set of grips that are checkered and give better grip for heavy loads and are already banged up and deer blood stained a little I put on for hunting season. If I need the BBQ gun look I put the pretty white ones on.
I sure enjoy shooting this BV 45 and carry it in a Mernickle holster around town some days.

jspick

Bearcat
My find for the year was a pair or Ruger vaqueros. 5.5" stainless in 44 mag. They are in great shape. Being used by a cowboy action shooter. I called Ruger and got two new front sight blades and then made a sight jig to hold them while I silver soldered them in.

Attachments

• ruger 44 mag vaqueros.JPG
    ruger 44 mag vaqueros.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 25

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
I gave a generalization of my buying activities this year but realized the thread title was best gun find. All were a find for me but as soon as I saw turds new grips I remembered finding a set of NOS Herrett Shooting stars for a Smith on Ebay & getting them just last week.
Oh, the Smith? Lots of 38 wadcutter & guns that liked them threads show up & I usually participate, having shot so many. That had me looking from time to time & I made a casual bid & won. 1959 or 60 & nearly mint. It looks really great with the new Herretts but no pic of that.... yet.

Best find, 2023

Very very nice. Is that a Model 14 K-frame? If so, 14-? and what year?

I have plenty of .357's, so I'm looking for a dedicated .38 Special-only revolver, ideally the "K38 Masterpiece".