Charter Arms 44

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ohio! Way too freakin' close to the city!
I was thinking the .45 ACP is pretty close to the same as .44 Special but ammo is cheaper and easier to find. I've never owned or used a revolver chambered for auto cartridges with the moon clips, though.
The Pitbull 9mm and 45 ACP do not use moon clips. The cylinder has gripping devices in each chamber. Pretty neat idea and the updated cylinder works pretty well.

Last edited:

mrs50sls56

Bearcat
Mine is an original Pug; tight and right. Much carried and occasionally shot. It's been checked out by a reputable gunsmith who was impressed. I keep it clean and have never had an issue. That said, I've heard the complaints; could be the quality control has been spotty over the years; it is a less expensive alternative.

Attachments

• IMG_0458.jpeg
    IMG_0458.jpeg
    232.7 KB · Views: 38

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
I posted this on another forum several years ago.

My new Charter Arms Classic, .44 Special.

First time at the range. Shot this group at 15 yards with PMC 180 grn, JHP (it will be my ammo of choice.)

Interesting enough, I first shot some 240 grn, lead FN, Magtech cowboy action ammo. It recoiled harder, shot about 4" high at 15 yards, and could only get about a 3" group.

I have since found a great S&W 624, .44Special, "L" frame gun. It is a lot heavier but a real classic.

The CA Bulldog is really made well and very accurate.

Trooper Joe

I'm a big proponent of the 44 Special. In addition to the S&W model 69, and the Ruger GP100, I've had one of my CA bulldog for about 5 years, then I ran into another one shortly after getting back to Alaska. I've had 5 CA Bulldogs over the years both blue and stainless, and had no problems with any of them plus a CA target bulldog that I gave my Bil who does a lot of hiking in Montana without a descent carry gun. He raved about the accuracy of it and has been thoroughly pleased with it.
The trigger is not S&W quality or even the Ruger, but they have all been very functional guns.
I also related the incident with an elk in NM and the deputy would waited with me for a wrecker, and because I had 3 guns in my truck the deputy went to get them, expecting the wrecker at anytime soon, he was very impressed with the Bulldog and decided he needed one as a backup.
I forgot to add that I've also had 3 Taurus 44 specials which are the size of an S&W K frame, and 1 Rossi 44 special, I forget the model number but it's probably Rossi's finest revolver. Did I say I like 44 specials? I've had a few and still have some. Almost forgot the S&W 296. And they are expensive, and getting more expensive. With all the others I couldn't justify hanging on to that, so it would just sit in the safe.

Dang it, ya'll are costing me money! :) I like 44 special, but always thought Charter Arms were junk. Based on this thread, I headed out to the local gunshow yesterday, to see of I could find a new one. I checked online, and saw that I could get one for $450, so that was my price point.

One dealer had one for $459, but there was tax and fees on top, so I was hesitant. Then I ran across a used one at another table for $280! It was made in 2004 according to the paperwork, and is stainless. I looked it over, and it locks up nice and tight, and seems decently made, so I bought it.

I need to shoot it a bit to make sure it's trustworthy, but I think it will make a nice woods companion. I'm curious, what holsters are you folks who carry the 44 pug using? I checked Midway, which is my go to for accessories, but they really didn't show any decent holsters by model. I suspect that a SP101 holster would work, but don't have one to compare.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Yeah me too about Son Of Sam David Burkowitz or something like that. Man that was a while back!

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
Wanting a .44 Special revolver as a carry gun, in 2008 I bought a new Charter Arms DAO revolver. It was ok, but I really disliked the fact it fired in what seemed like the last 0.1mm of trigger travel.

In 2009 I bought the DA version, a new Bulldog Pug. It was satin finished and looked great. Unfortunately, the cylinder got progressively harder to turn after about 40 rounds and by round 55 it was locked up. After cleaning it, it was fine again.

However, at that point I just wanted to be rid of them. I had never experienced that before with any revolver. Sold them both back to the dealer I bought them from for about 15% of what I paid for them.

The DAO had only 75 rounds through it; the DA only 55.

My .44 Special is now a Ruger GP100, bought just last month, and I've already put 65 rounds through it - not bad considering the wet weather now limits my range trips. It's just a fun target gun for me.

For carry, I have a S&W M60 J-frame .357 (3" barrel), which is stainless steel and actually pleasant to shoot 125gr .357 loads in. I also have an LCP 380.

IMG_2995.jpeg IMG_4194.jpeg IMG_9637.jpeg

Last edited:

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
Yeah me too about Son Of Sam David Burkowitz or something like that. Man that was a while back!
The Son of Sam stigma doesn't bother me at all. A lot of Detroit PD officers were carrying these off duty years ago. Also, a 1903 Colt .32acp was carried by a lot of bad guys. I really like the one I have.

And don't forget the .32cal Walther PPK. Allegedly Hitler did himself in with one. Of course this was greatly off set by Bond, James Bond. :).

I still own a S&W M296 Airweight. It is a Centennial style DAO. So light it feels like a toy when you pick it up. I carried it for close to ten years. Load of choice was the DPX load from CorBon. They used the 200 grain Barnes all copper HP. Talk about a big hole in a hollow point. More punch that your typical .44 Special load and it actually expanded in things I shot with it. The only reason I stopped carrying that gun... the Aurora, Colorado theatre shooting. I asked myself if I had been sitting in that theatre and that fool came out in the front of the stage and started shooting people... could I engage him from the rear of the room? Would my bullet penetrate the light combat vest he was wearing? I love .44 Special for up close self defense but in that little revolver at distance? Potentially it could get chest hits from 50-75 feet away... but that would be pushing it... especially when the dude is moving and shooting back! And a vest that can stop or slow down virtually any bullet will have a major effect on that big slow slug. So I sighed and moved on to the HK P2000 in .357 SIG.

Anyway, wandering off topic. I like the S&W and it is pre-lock which is a bonus for me. The option that hasn't been mentioned which I consider far superior to the Charter Arms... Rossi made a stainless .44 Special revolver in two versions. Adjustable sights and fixed sights. A gunsmith I had working on guns years ago talked me into selling him my fixed sight version but I still have adjustable sight version and use it here around the farm. Rossi M720. Very solid revolver, it handles that CorBon load easily. I keep that little revolver loaded and close at hand... not really for self defense.. for general farm use on bigger animals. When you have livestock, every now and then a sad situation happens and you have to put down something like a goat. Something too big for a .22 LR... but going to a big Magnum seems unnecessary. The Rossi has dispatched a lot of medium to large animals over the last 23 years. It is on my "keep" list now that I'm selling a lot of guns as retirement looms.

For a "carry it around in a coat pocket gun"... the fixed sight version I sold off would work great. It was smooth on the top strap, no hammer spur, DAO. I prefer having adjustable sights and a single action option... but those do snag on a pocket a lot more than the fixed sight version would.

flyingtiger

Single-Sixer
I like them well enough that I have 3 bulldogs. Probably should sell one, since I only have 1 right hand and one left hand.

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
I thought the sequence was more like Good OK, then poor, then poorer, but I'll take another look.
Yes ,I agree the older ones are ok . Bought a 9mm charter a few years ago . Traded it back to the dealer in a week . Locked up , failed to fire , turned me against the Charter brand .

Acorn

Buckeye
Over the years I have owned 3 of the 5 shot ..38 Charter snubbies, and 2 Bulldogs in .44 spcl. All except the first Bulldog were excellent. I still have the second Bulldog and I carry it daily. It was a newer one and is rated for "+P", whatever that is. It is light, accurate, and fills the bill for my needs. The other iterations of .44 spcl from S&W, RUGER, Taurus/Rossi, are just too heavy or too expensive or both.
gramps

Not 100% true. I have a Taurus 445UL. 5 shot 44 Spl. it weighs in at 22oz.
About the size of my Bulldog.
Nice little revolver if you can find one used.
They were discontinued.

Last edited:

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Friends don't let friends (or anonymous forum guys) buy Charter .44's. Mine broke the "unbreakable" beryllium copper firing pin and it took me well over a year to get a replacement.

This was not long after Son of Sam used one and crazies had Charter backed up for a long time so I understood a delay but over a year wait and the fact that it broke at all steered me away from the brand.

Latest posts