David Bradshaw Photos - Vol. XXVI

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lee Martin

Hunter
Some interesting Mark series Rugers by way of David Bradshaw. I for one am eager to hear the back-story on these....

Ruger MK II 514----5-1/4" tapered heavy barrel.

MK II 5-1/2" bull bbl (top) with MK II 5-1/4" heavy tapered bbl.

MK II 5-1/2" (left) from first production with straight bolt stop.

Bill Ruger, Jr., checks MK II 514 .22 LR tapered heavy.

Marl II 514 hangs out with the Ruger 03 .45 Colt

"The tapered heavy is a better configuration than the bull barrel," says Bill Ruger, Jr.

bigbore45colt

Hunter
Interesting. The 5 1/2" appears to be the all-black Navy Seals over-run model, no?

I tend to agree that the 5 1/4" is the better balanced gun with its tapered bbl. I need to get one of those back in my stable!!

BB45C

Joe S.

Hunter
That is not a typical tapered barrel is it? The tapered heavy just has a slightly heavier profile?
I like it. But i love my 5.5" bull too!!

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
bigbore45colt.... the bull 5-1/2" came directly from Ruger when the Mark II was introduced. Over the years I've sprayed it with cheap flat black paint as a hedge against bluing wear and the elements. Somewhere along the line I dropped-in the black trigger furnished on the stainless MK II. The MK II easily is the most rugged .22 pistol ever made. Browning Buckmark, S&W M-41, High Standard Target models, and the old Colt Woodsman Match Target with Elliason sight all beat the Ruger in sight picture and fine adjustment. None of 'em beat the Ruger as a belt .22. Some of 'em may be easier to shoot a little finer, but a good Ruger barrel gives up very little in accuracy.

The Mark II No. 514 (5-1/4" tapered heavy barrel) is a favorite for general use. As Bill Ruger, Jr., observes, it is a better configuration than the bull barrel, with the added note that the tapered barrel with sight boss costs more to make. No doubt, aesthetics factors into this assessment. The real practical advantage of the 5-1/4" is a near perfect fit in the M1911 M7 Tanker Holster. With the 5-1/2" barrel, the front sight sticks through just enough to hook the muzzle end of the M7 shoulder holster.
David Bradshaw

contender

Ruger Guru
As always the pics & stories David has is interesting. It's the "little things" that we learn that give us a better idea as to the thoughts behind some of the guns & history at Ruger.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Point BLANK:(!).........Ruger should have kept the 5 1/4" target gun in the line-up from day one, period. Balance, handling, holstering, appearance........All 100%. Think my early one(s) are absolute treasures. The barrel on the T512 is too heavy/cumbersome(for me) and the T678 is too long. Besides, if the machining process on the T678 barrel build was OK, why was it too expensive for the T514? Duh!

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Joe s. .... there are better Olympic pistols. Put them all in the field and Bill Ruger's post World War II .22 auto pistol, specifically the Target Models, hang tough as nails. Old time american nails; not the Red Chinese crap. as a field pistol, the Ruger thumb safety works smoother than factory safeties on the Colt Woodsman Match Target, High Standard target models, Smith & Wesson Model 41, and various Browning Buckmarks. As Bill Ruger, Jr., observes, "The Ruger Mark II magazine is superior to any with split feed lips." (Including the original Rugerr Standard and MK I models.)

During the past week, I've enjoyed the misfortune of shooting the MK II 514 pictured at 20 to 25 below zero. Worked fine with high speed ammo. Standard V failed, nearly every shot, to eject and pick up the next round. The bull 5-1/2" likewise prefers High Velocity in the cold.

Of the two pistols pictured, the original-run 5-1/2" bull has the first edition bolt stop----a straight shelf. Much easier to activate in cold with gloved hand. The newer, rolled-over bolt stop on the 5-1/4" is too cute for its own good. against that, the 514 is a wonderful pistol. As others share in this thread, it belongs in the lineup.

As to the Mark II in general, I split my affection between the 5-1/2" bull. 5-1/4" tapered heavy, and the 6-7/8" bull.

I agree with Ruger, Jr., the Mark II Target Models are the best of all Ruger .22 auto pistols.
David Bradshaw

Latest posts