Most crazy GB auction I've seen

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
I was following a Gunbroker auction of a S&W Model 64 2" snub recently that should've ended at 9pm. A minute before it ended a new bidder jumped in which reset the time left to 15 minutes. After 14 minutes another new bidder jumped in with a higher bid. These same two bidders continued a bidding war this way until 1:45am. Some people really get caught up in bidding wars.

They might have been "newbies" - I think some folks who are used to bidding on ebay, but new to GunBroker, wait 'til the last 15 seconds to bid. I also know that some folks on GunBroker get pissed if someone else bids in the last minute, because it extends the auction by another 15 minutes, so it might just have been another one of humanity's meaningless pissing contests.
:)

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
That's not a terrible price for an M64. I bought two retired police 65's in about 1980 for 170 a piece. Sold one later and round butted the other for my wife. A four inch heavy barrel with Hoque smooth pau ferro grips is a wonderful bedside gun for a lady.
I meant the two last bidders bid it up another $300 so $705 + $40 shipping. Not terrible price but I wouldn't go that high. I bought a very nice Model 65-2 3" round butt this year for a Ruger GP100 5" plus $200. Great revolver and I never shot the 5" GP100 much anyway and still have 3 & 4" GPs.

Last edited:

bjmurp2

Bearcat
I have often wondered if gunbroker has bots. I really don't believe they do, but some auctions on there make me scratch my head…. And if you have ever tried to contact gunbroker about anything, you will NEVER actually talk to a person. ALL email.

gnappi

Blackhawk
Sometimes bidding wars work out for the buyer.

I got into a bidding war (+15 minute jumps) when I got my Super Redhawk. The thing is aside from the obvious customized work performed on it that the listing pics showed, if the seller (an FFL holder) had mentioned or even known about the other work done to it I'm sure I'd have paid more. Maybe the other bidder was a schill, maybe not but the other bidder bailed and I won it for about the price of a new one and I'm don't feel the least bit bad about it.

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
Sometimes even the FFL sellers aren't very knowledgeable about the particular model they're selling and I've benefited from that three times on GB. Two were special contract revolvers not listed as such and one was a pristine Dan Wesson 15-2 revolver that was "locked up" with a trigger return problem that was easily corrected with an adjustment of an over travel screw in about 2 minutes. Bidding was limited on these auctions because of descriptions or lack of.

carbonfibrebob

Single-Sixer
I would like to describe a purchase from a gun store seller on GB but I should probably stay quiet. I'll only say that when I opened the box at my FFL's place, I was very surprised and pleased. I went back to the auction pictures and verified I received the item pictured but the description was incorrect. SCORE

badkarma

Bearcat
I meant the two last bidders bid it up another $300 so $705 + $40 shipping. Not terrible price but I wouldn't go that high. I bought a very nice Model 65-2 3" round butt this year for a Ruger GP100 5" plus $200. Great revolver and I never shot the 5" GP100 much anyway and still have 3 & 4" GPs.
Ahhh… that makes sense. And yes, it's more than I'd pay unless it's really immaculate. These, being cop guns had lots of holster wear but as far as I can tell not much actual shooting.

Latest posts