Do i really need these

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
Is a tumbler necessary right off or can I wait awhile before buying one?To me a manual like Lee's Modern Reloading is a good thing to have. Case trimmer later.
Hand primer almost a must for me since my presse does not have that feature,,reamer /chamfer a must. Am I close? Eventually will have it all but just getting set back up after years off.
Lee dippers eventually

Is a tumbler necessary right off or can I wait awhile before buying one?...

I remember reading that some folks clean brass by putting it in a plastic canister or coffee can, adding a 50/50 mix of mild vinegar & water, and shaking it for a couple of minutes. Apparently you have to rinse it thoroughly with water, and then make sure the brass dries well; if the spent primers are in the cases, it's recommended that you punch them out as soon as the brass is dry, so you don't get any corrossion in the primer pockets.

As always FWIW, YMMV, IIRC, etc.
:)

Last edited:

Enigma

Hunter
Most handgun brass never gets trimmed; it really isn't necessary for 90% of handgun loading. With most handgun cartridges, the brass actually gets shorter over time. If you start loading bottleneck rifle cartridges, you'll need a trimmer. I used to put my brass in a 5-gallon bucket with a bit of Dawn detergent and fill the bucket about 1/2 way with warm-to-hot water in the bathtub. Swish the brass around thoroughly, dump the water and rinse the brass. As stated above, either size and deprime or just deprime as soon as the brass is dry. When I lived in Arizona I laid the brass out on an old towel or bedsheet on the back porch for a few hours to dry. As far as reloading manuals, I recommend owning at least two current manuals; more are better. The Lee dippers work out well for many cartridges. They're slow, and may not be versatile enough if you use many different powders. You will need a scale and a powder measure sooner than you realize. I would recommend joining the Cast Boolits forum, even if you have zero intention of ever using cast bullets. They have a very active Classified section there, and you can pick up a lot of used reloading equipment for pretty reasonable prices.

After 40 years I finally got a tumbler for Christmas. I usually just dump range pickup brass in the case feeder on the progressive. Anything else would defeat the purpose of having a progressive. I might start tumbling loaded ammo if I'm going somewhere so people won't comment on my dirty reloads.
Essentials are a scale, good powder measure and a Chronograph IMO.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
Manuals. More manuals are good. Scale for sure. I use Lee powder scoops as my powder measure. I have a big set of them. I have a tumbler, but honestly do not use it very much.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok,, what I consider essentials;
2-3 known named manuals. Lyman, Hornady & Hodgdon at least.
A press & dies, (with their shell holders.)
A hand primer will be just fine.
A tumbler. Clean brass won't scar dies,, or cause issues in feeding.
Scales. Dippers can work just fine,, but to be sure,, a set of scales is a necessity for safety.
Eventually,, a powder thrower.
Case trimmers,, not necessary in general for straight walled handgun calibers.

Hankus

Blackhawk
What calibers are you going to handload? Nickel, brass or both types of cases? If everything a tumbler will be handy but not necessary on some.
How does the reloading process differ for nickel cases? I'm just getting back into it after 30+ years off. I ask because I was given several hundred once-fired .38 and .367 cases that are a mixture of brass and nickel.

contender

Ruger Guru
I think the reference was about tumbling the nickle cases. The nickle is applied over brass. When tumbled,, it can get worn off. Usually tumble them in a shorter time.

Also,, dirty nickle cases seem to be the ones that scar the dies easier.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
I use a scale. I have a powder trickler right next to it. I use a Lee powder dipper to pour a scoop of powder in the scale pan, then use the trickler to bring the weight up to exactly what I want. Then I pour the weighed charge into a funnel on the next case. I love my powder trickler.

RGRacing

Bearcat
Best advice I ever got at my reloading supplier - Don't waste your money or time on polishing.
What I do
4 parts water (warm if possible)
1 part white vinegar (Not ACV)
1/2 tsp salt - Light
1/2 tsp Dawn dish soap - Light
Leme-Shine Dishwashing Booster - Powder 1/2 teaspoon

Lime Away spray 1st - nice as a pre wash.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
I tumble my cases if they look like there is charcoal growing inside them. I don't care about the outside so much, but the carbon inside reduces case volume and that thought would keep me up at night.:cautious:

Azrael

Bearcat
"Best advice I ever got at my reloading supplier - Don't waste your money or time on polishing.
What I do
4 parts water (warm if possible)
1 part white vinegar (Not ACV)
1/2 tsp salt - Light
1/2 tsp Dawn dish soap - Light
Leme-Shine Dishwashing Booster - Powder 1/2 teaspoon"

Wanted to give this a try but could not figure out the recipe. ie: "4 parts water", is each part 1 ounce, 1 pint, 1 gal. or what?

I use a scale. I have a powder trickler right next to it. I use a Lee powder dipper to pour a scoop of powder in the scale pan, then use the trickler to bring the weight up to exactly what I want. Then I pour the weighed charge into a funnel on the next case. I love my powder trickler.
I only use the scale till I have the powder measure set and then I can roll. A good, accurate measure like the Lee Perfect makes good loads easy. I haven't had nearly as consistent results with other measures. I flip it to fill tap twice then dispense and tap twice. Consistency is the thing.

I've been handloading for about 55 years. Probably the biggest step in my evolution was getting a tumbler and cleaning empty brass. This made such a step forward in my finished product (AND the lifespan of my sizing dies) that I can't say enough about the improvement.
One other comment about TUMBLING LOADED AMMO: there are different views/opinions on this. Personally, I would not tumble loaded rounds for more than 5-6 minutes for ANY reason.

Latest posts