Do M1A's have chrome lined barrels?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DGW1949

Hunter
A service grade M1A aint hard to "break down" at all.
Ya just remove the trigger group, pull up on the reciever heel and sorta pivot the barrelled reciever out of the stock.
That get's the rifle down to basicly 3 pieces.....which will suffice for 90% of whatever cleaning you'd need to do. Any disassembly past that is beyound my ability to describe it with a few words. That don't mean that it's hard to do, 'cause it aint. It's just that it would be real-hard for me to explain.

A properly bedded NM M1A is a bit harder to take down......on account of the trigger guard will be harder to unlatch and the bedding is so tight that it sometimes reguires a rubber mallet to get the reciever to "turn loose" of the stock. And bear in mind that a Match Rifle shouldn't be broken down often anyhow.....maybe once a year, before it's put away untill the next match season.

FWIW.....the SA Inc "Loaded Model" fits into the service rifle catagory, as far as take-down is concerned. You'll see the letters "NM" stamped onto a couple of parts here and there....but a true Match Rifle it aint.

In any event, if you're contemplating buying an M1A, do yourself a favor and look-around for a USGI multi-tool and chamber brush. It'll make life with your new rifle a lot easier.

Hope this helped.
DGW

cruzerlou

Buckeye
Well like I said I've always wanted one espcaly after seeing pics of ny brother carring one as a Marine and I was just a little kid then so this will probbley be my last high dollar gun [thats what I tell the wife anyway LOL] unless I get into cowboy action shooting them I've got to get an ssa a 1873 carbine a coach gum and a sharpes for longrange side matchs and thats gonna have to be a Qugiley model sharpes and there high dollar but thats another dream gun for me so I hope that bug don't bite me cauce if it does I'm in BIG trouble LOL .Heck I cant even sneek a gun into the safe any more she watches me too close and knows every gun i have Oh wow is me LOL

zullo74

Bearcat
DGW1949":1nlnji3l said:
Yes indeed it should be a 2-stage.
Pull weight on a NM gun should be 4 pounds, or just a hair more.
I guess you were never in competition with the M14 series of rifles......

NRA Rule 3.1.1 Service Rifle - U.S. Rifle, Caliber 7.62 mm M-14 as issued by the U.S. Armed Forces or the same type and caliber of commercially manufactured rifle, having not less than a 4 ½ pound trigger pull, with standard type stock of wood or synthetic material. Must be no more than 2 inches wide at a point immediately to the rear of the
front band, no more than 2.5 inches wide at the front and rear of the receiver, and have a continuous taper from receiver to front band. Width at receiver may be carried through to the butt plate, which may be the flat M-1 or hinged M-14 plate and standard leather or web sling. The rifle must be so adjusted as to be incapable of automatic fire without removing the stock and changing parts. In all courses and in all positions the standard 10 or 20-round box magazine or a reduced capacity magazine of the same external dimensions will be allowed. The hinged butt plate will be used only in the folded position. The gas system must be fully operational. External alterations to the assembled arm will not be allowed. The application of synthetic coatings, which includes those containing powdered metal, to the interior of the stock to improve bedding is authorized provided the coating does not interfere with the function or operation of safety features. The front and rear sights must be of United States Army design, but may vary in dimensions of rear sight aperture and front sight blade. The internal parts of the rifle may be specially fitted and include alterations that will improve the functioning and accuracy of the arm, provided such alterations in no way interfere with the proper functioning of the safety devices as manufactured.