Does your wife carry?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

my Daughter uses one of these inside her purse
Packin neat

contender

Ruger Guru
Miss Penny & I have been together for a bit over 30 years now. At first,, she wasn't a "gun girl." But when she started selling real estate, she asked me to teach her to shoot. Now,, she's a very well educated instructor for ladies clinics & at one point, listed as one of the top 10 lady instructors in the country by the NRA. We've taught hundreds & hundreds of ladies to shoot. Yes, she carries AND we also teach ladies.

Ladies wear clothing different than men, AND the way they wear clothing is different than men.
THAT REQUIRES DIFFERENT APPROACHES TO HOW TO CARRY.

If off body carry is used,, most ladies prefer a purse of some type. As noted above,, Coronado Leather is among the absolute best we've found.

I go to the SHOT Show,, and over the last 2-1/2 decades,, I've spent a lot of time talking to various makers of holsters, purses, & anything that can carry a gun JUST FOR LADIES.

I recall many years ago, Galco flat told me they weren't interested in the ladies market. They now offer a ladies line of holsters & purses.
But by going to SHOT,, and working HARD at trying to find stuff that a lady can wear, or use as a carry method, I've either bought, or gotten samples for us to use in our clinics. Some are good, many aren't acceptable to the general population of ladies, some are comfortable, and many aren't comfortable.
So for off body,, a fanny pack or a handbag is often the choice ladies prefer.
Coronado Leather has the very features requested,, and yes,, they are top quality. Miss Penny uses a few herself,, and prefers their quality over all others. They may seem expensive to start with,, but their quality outlasts all the others we've found so far.

Now,, I know it wasn't asked for,, but I'll throw in something that the majority of the ladies who carry a lot have found to be the "best" overall method of on body carry, that works with the way they wear clothes, and works with most of their clothes.

"UnderTech" underwear.

It's made for both men & women, and can be worn for MANY hours, w/o discomfort. They have a pretty good line of products, and according to Miss Penny, and ALL the ladies in my family who carry a lot,, it's GREAT!

Cofaler

Bearcat
My wife will not purse carry, she says she's afraid she'll leave it somewhere, even though she never has. I'm not a proponent of off-body carry either, so we invested a small fortune in nylon and velcro in the form of belly band type holsters and she's finally settled on the VNSH holster for her (used to be my) G43, but even that is not ideal. The only thing worse about drawing from a belly band holster is trying to reholster in one, and it's difficult to get her to practice with it, because it is awkward, especially the whole pulling up the blouse part and the fact they tend to ride so high . She mainly wears jeans and stretchy yoga type pants but rarely a belt, let alone a belt strong enough to support a good strong-side belt rig. She will typically wear a small purse and tends to wear the strap cross-body, so I may talk to her again about trying something like a CC purse.

My wife used to carry her purse cross body. I kept telling her to just let them have the purse. It was of no use. Then one day I decided to give her an object lesson. I simply grabbed the straps and proceeded to choke her with them. She finally got the message.

Nope, my wife would use a Jedi mind trick on any evil doer.... the odd thing about saying that is I'm not making it up.... seen her do it to folks more than once.... scares the bejeebers out of me if I think to much about it.

My wife has an LCR in 22mag that she stole from me. However she works in a state building so no guns allowed there and it's kind of in the ghetto so I am not crazy about leaving it in her car due to theft. But I would feel better if she did have it and would carry it.
There are no metal detectors in her building, so I told her to carry in anyway but she won't because she is afraid of it being discovered. I try to get her to at least carry some pepper spray or something but so far nothing.
My daughter is a nurse. I try to get her to carry but so far no luck with that either.
Needless to say I worry a lot.

OMCHamlin

Single-Sixer
Wife carries a P365 when we're in the woods on UTVs, a P3AT IWB or in a purse holster out in the "world". We JUST came back in from trying my M&P 340 with non +p ammo and she felt like it was too snappy for her. Problem is, her Model 60 is too heavy for her for comfortable carry, but an Airweight kicks too hard. But I DO want her to be able to carry something that will shoot snake shot. Hmm... What to do? Maybe I should just yell at her?

wproct

Single-Sixer
No, my wife has no interest in carrying, but that girl has one thing in her favor, she can scream and yell loud enough to pierce your eardrums. You might steal her purse, but you would be deaf for a month or two. o_O o_O

Wife carries a P365 when we're in the woods on UTVs, a P3AT IWB or in a purse holster out in the "world". We JUST came back in from trying my M&P 340 with non +p ammo and she felt like it was too snappy for her. Problem is, her Model 60 is too heavy for her for comfortable carry, but an Airweight kicks too hard. But I DO want her to be able to carry something that will shoot snake shot. Hmm... What to do? Maybe I should just yell at her?
My wife's a little thing. And a bit recoil sensitive. She likes her Taurus 65 but finally got tired of its bulk. Tried one of my S&W airweights but like yours wasn't fond of the recoil.

So I loaded up some various loads and letbher find one she liked.

That issue became moot when she stole my new Glock 42.

johnp

Bearcat
Mine would carry but she would never pull it out and use it if needed, so why bother?

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
Yes. I just bought another 75th LCP Max from Bud's yesterday, to replace the 1st one that my wife quickly latched on to...😕

Yea, wives tend to appropriate things. I've lost guns, cars, and heaven only knows what else that way. Her latest thing is to latch on to my flashlights.. I end up replacing the one she took and lo and behold she decides that one is better.

contender

Ruger Guru
While this is an older thread,, I saw it had popped up again.

Just yesterday,, the 3 main ladies in my family were here, (Miss Penny & my 2 DIL's,) and all had a bit of range time, as ALL enjoy it. Plus,, they were all wanting to test out a few guns they had bought & hadn't had time to shoot yet.
And of course,, I step aside when it comes to HOW to carry a gun when Miss Penny is there. She's a better authority because SHE is female, and SHE understands the nuances ladies have.

While some of the (many) gun fired yesterday were handguns & carry guns,, there was a good mix of other guns.
From my memory;
Ruger LC9s
Sig 365
Kahr 9
Ruger LCP II
Taurus G3 9
Kimber .45
and another .380 which I can't recall
Mossberg 500 12 ga
AR-15
AR-15 shorty with pistol brace in 300 BLK-Out
Ruger PC9

And I think there may have been one or two more. The ladies all enjoyed themselves,, and for me,, it was just another good day with the family.
A discussion on carrying & how often comes up & these ladies ALL have good opinions & ideas.

PS; Don't pizz off any of the ladies in my family,, as they all carry & shoot quite well!

Latest posts