Dutch oven breakfast for dinner

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
I've noticed that folks sometimes like to post pictures here in the gallery of food they cooked. I found that a little odd at first, but I can kind of see the motivation now.

Yesterday was my youngest daughter's 9th birthday, so we let her plan the menu. For dinner, she wanted cowboy casserole. This is something we make fairly often on Sunday afternoons, and even though it's more of a breakfast dish, we like to eat it for dinner.

We put a layer of hash browns in the bottom of a dutch oven (lined with foil for easier cleanup), then a layer of bacon and sausage, and then scrambled eggs poured in all over the place to hold everything together. It cooks for about 20-30 minutes, then we pour lots of grated cheese on top and cook it for another 5 minutes to let the cheese melt.

IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg

Serve it with some Cholula hot sauce dripped on top, homemade biscuits on the side, and an ice-cold Pepsi to wash it down... you can't eat any better than this!

IMG_1413.jpg

Joe S.

Hunter
That sounds delicious! Next time I'm home at night, I shall prepare that! Thanks for sharing!I got some smoked deer sausage that should go great in there!

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
I'e done the same, minus the cheese...call it "Mountain Man Breakfast" and do this sometimes for camp breakfast in the Dutch oven.

Well,
A lot of us on here do a weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee bit of cooking.
You Sir just cooked up a real good meal.
Looks kind of like this one. :lol:
1259952828.jpg

Now ya need some Peach Cobbler with ice cream to go with it :wink:
1259952822.jpg

1259952826.jpg

mikem2

Single-Sixer
That looks great.
Add a handful of diced green peppers or few diced jalapenos (Mrs. renfros brand are not to hot and have a tangy taste).
I usually mix in the cheese when I add the eggs.

:)

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Geezer said:
Looks great!! Are the hashbrowns and meat pre-cooked?

Yes, I brown the potatoes and meat beforehand in a separate pan. We've made the dish with just bacon and with both bacon and ground sausage.
I used to stir the meat and potatoes together, but lately we like it better when they stay layered, because this keeps the meat from getting too brown while baking.

Another thing I used to do is pour some of the bacon grease into the oven for the other stuff to cook in, but I've stopped that, and now I just put in a little bit of butter.

We use anywhere from 10 to 14 eggs, a pound of shredded hash browns, and maybe 1 to 2 pounds of meat. This serves about 6 big, hungry adults. With these quantities, a 12 inch oven works best.

For a 12 inch oven, I put 10 charcoal briquettes underneath and 14 on top, then cook everything for about 30 minutes. DON'T lift the lid before at least 20 minutes of cooking! Peeking lets the heat out. There's a rule of thumb that says for about 350 degrees, use the oven's diameter (in inches) minus 2 for the lower briquettes, and diameter plus 2 for the upper.

We sometimes bake the biscuits in a big 14 inch oven, but yesterday we did them in the electric oven inside.

callshot

Blackhawk
Looks great to me. I don't seem to have the time to cook Dutch oven now. Besides my middle age spread has been spreading too much lately. Steve