Gary Rossington gone

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dannyd

Hunter
Like it or Not; if we had acted Better in the 1960's and 1970's we would Not have the Problems We have Today. So Boomer's own your past especially when you say negative things to about Today's Kids.

southernbuck101

Single-Sixer
Had a Gentleman from St. Louis come to visit; we told him (wife and I) we would take him anywhere in Florida he wanted to go.

We were expecting Key West or Disney, but he said Orange Park, Florida and Jacksonville Beach was where he would like to go.

So, we went to the cemetery in Orange Park where Ronnie Van Zant is buried to visit his grave and to the Free Bird cafe in Jacksonville Beach for dinner.

He was definitely one of the easiest visitors we have had and was a big Lynyrd Skynyrd fan.
Sounds like a simple man.

southernbuck101

Single-Sixer
Like it or Not; if we had acted Better in the 1960's and 1970's we would Not have the Problems We have Today. So Boomer's own your past especially when you say negative things to about Today's Kids.
I'm just amazed that I lived thru the 60s and 70s, to be able to continue to mature today.

Man.
Those were the days.

Cyrus

Single-Sixer
To me, Lynyrd Skynyrd is one of those few bands that transcends music. Not just because of the plane crash. There is something special that is hard to quantify. The music is amazing, but they are woven into our fabric in some way I can't quite articulate. RIP Mr. Rossington.

Cholo

Staff member
Here's Gary making that sunburst Les Paul sing. This is by far the best rendition of this song far surpassing Clapton and even JJ Cale who wrote it.

Just try not speeding while you're listening to it driving down the road LOL It's best when its played as loud as you can stand it so Turn It Up! This is Lynyrd Skynyrd ↓ ↓ ↓ Makes me nostalgic.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
live Freebird shows the virtuosity of the band as a whole but Gary's slide playing on this song specifically can bring tears to eyes, especially now. Love the beginning right at the end of Billlys Piano intro Gary plays some slide licks which sound like a bird and fox whistle, just fantastic. glad I got to see him with the band live three times unfortunately all post '77.
Got the Corvette out of hibernation a couple days ago and was running around today just because. On the stereo was One More from the Road cranked to 11. Brings back good memories of my youth.

Last edited:

wolfsong

Staff member
Here's Gary making that sunburst Les Paul sing. This is by far the best rendition of this song far surpassing Clapton and even JJ Cale who wrote it.

Just try not speeding while you're listening to it driving down the road LOL It's best when its played as loud as you can stand it so Turn It Up! This is Lynyrd Skynyrd ↓ ↓ ↓ Makes me nostalgic.

My favorite Skynyrd song, hands down.

Cholo

Staff member
My favorite Skynyrd song, hands down.
Mine, too. That song shows they were just a bunch of serious professionals having a great time.

Brings back good memories of my youth.
Nostalgia can be beautiful, but it can also be dangerous. My friend of 49 years is on his last long haul trucking load and he'll be retired this time tomorrow.

I mentioned this thread and Gary's passing. Blah blah blah we agreed that if we could go back it would be to the 70's. I told him I'd skip '72 and to forget we both married, unsuccessfully, in the mid 70's. It was a time when we both started making some $ and did whateverthehell we wanted to do as if we'd never die. It was the best of times.

Skynyrd brings back those good times, and none of the bad. I don't expect anyone else to understand.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Agreed Cholo, we always gotta take both the good and bad but sometimes I like to recall the good times and put aside or minimize some of the bad and use them as learning and growing experiences. When I play the music from my younger days mostly I'm reminded of the times I cherish. It's good for us mentally I think.
think you and your buddy should have a couple beers soon and drink to his retirement and the buddies you've lost along the way. Me and my surviving friends do when we can. We're whittled down pretty small nowadays.