Ghost loading a shotgun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
No idea what that is
Pretty simple actually. Process varies depending on the shotgun, but you end up with a full tube, 1 chambered, and one on the lifter. So for example, if your pump or semi auto (only applies to tube fed guns) holds 7+1 for a total of 8 onboard, the ghost round resting on the lifter gives you a total of 9 onboard. Several how-to videos for specific shotguns on YouTube. I've done this with my TS12 (15+1+1), but I wouldn't advise it as normal practice for safety reasons. :)

Last edited:

gunzo

Hunter
I was shown how to do it in the earlier Benelli autos but I keep forgetting the drill. I understand it's popular with waterfowl shooters.

Last edited:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Ummm...............last time I read the waterfowl regullations, a shotgun with more than three shell capacity is serious infraction of hunting. Large capacity shotguns mus have their magazines pluggs to hold no mor than two shells. Some loacl hunters have removed that plug, lega for small game in some states, then forgot to replace it before getting into a duck blind. MUCH to their dismay!

And, doves are migatory birds!

Bob Wright

I've never heard of 'ghost loading' but then, I've never felt the need for more than the normal 5 in the old 870.
My new Stoeger (Benelli-ish copy?) is a bit confusing and different than any other shotgun I've used. Load the mag and push the little button and it pops a shell onto the carrier. But you can't load more into the mag after doing this.