Ghost loading a shotgun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KIR

Sparks, NV
My Benelli M2 is a 5+1+1. It is a good thing to know just in case. Knowledge is power and an extra round makes one all that more powerful. For those of you who are afraid of ghost rounds...BOO! :devilish::ROFLMAO:

Jack Ryan

Blackhawk
Naming something "Ghost something" or "Tacticle something" or "Testicle something" doesn't mean you just discovered something, or invented something.

It is just the same old "thing" I've been doing and your parents and great grandparents have doing for decades or a century. My generation just call it "fully loading your gun".

FYI: Plugs are used in shotguns to limit the capacity of a tube magazine.
  • With a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler, incapable of removal without disassembling the gun, so its total capacity does not exceed three shells.

Last edited:
Naming something "Ghost something" or "Tacticle something" or "Testicle something" doesn't mean you just discovered something, or invented something.

It is just the same old "thing" I've been doing and your parents and great grandparents have doing for decades or a century. My generation just call it "fully loading your gun".

FYI: Plugs are used in shotguns to limit the capacity of a tube magazine.
  • With a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler, incapable of removal without disassembling the gun, so its total capacity does not exceed three shells.
sounds to me that because of the carrier in a benelli you could have a legal magazine plug in to hold 2 shells , have one in the chamber and one on the carrier. Per the "law" the gun would be legally plugged yet you would still have 4 shots available. I have a unfired m2 but have never tried the ghost thing.

KIR

Sparks, NV
In CT shotgunners may only have a max of 10 rds in their firearm. with my Benelli M2 Tactical, even ghostloading, I would only have 7 rds. max. There are extensions made for the M2, but in NV, no limits.

southernbuck101

Single-Sixer
My benelli m4 has a US made 922 compliant extended mag tube added along with all the other 922 parts to make it legal to hold I think 8 rounds already.
If I can't stop a threat with 8 rounds of #4 buck, then it jus wasn't my day.

That is if my Rossi Overland doesn't cancel out the threat first.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I keep a sawed off at 20 inches double barrel 10 gauge with #4 Buck (54 pellets each shell) for home defense. It is a dual trigger and I do shoot it in Cowboy Action Shooting to practice quick reloads and "giving them both barrels". So, in theory, I can fire 4 12 gauge # 4 Buck payloads at 1 time.

The game regs I've seen stated "three shells total in chamber and magazine". I wouldn't push the issue in the field unless you desire a trip to court to try to prove your theory.
The OP isn't talking about hunting so this has no bearing.
I'd rather have a 'side saddle' ammo carrier with FIVE extra shells than the tricky wicket 'ghost load' idea.

BarryinIN

Bearcat
I have to admit I'm surprised at the, I don't know, resistance(?), to this. People have been doing it on Benellis for 30 years that I'm aware of, and I've never heard of a problem caused by it.
Why would anyone be opposed to having one more round, especially in a defensive gun?

EDIT: BTW, the USMC manual for the M1014 shotgun (Benelli M4) describes the procedure. It's not just some hillbilly trick.

Last edited:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
The game regs I've seen stated "three shells total in chamber and magazine". I wouldn't push the issue in the field unless you desire a trip to court to try to prove your theory.
The OP isn't talking about hunting so this has no bearing.
I'd rather have a 'side saddle' ammo carrier with FIVE extra shells than the tricky wicket 'ghost load' idea.
Ghost load and side saddle are not mutually exclusive. It's perfectly acceptable to do both.
:)
As for legal differences between States, that's a completely different subject. Those differences, we all know, should not exist.

Last edited: