Good Alaskan back up pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mrgaf

Single-Sixer
Currently have a Raging Bull 454 casull. Recoil is too brutal shooting 300gr fodder and the gun is HUGE! Figure I'd be better off going to a 44 mag with 300gr fodder. Been looking at three pistols, Super Blackhawk 4 5/8", Ruger Super Redhawk in a 4 or 5" (if there is such a thing), or a S&W 629 4 or 5". The gun would be used occasionally and during my hunting trips to Alaska every year. What would be your recommendation? Appreciate the help.

captainkirk

Blackhawk
The 4 5/8 super blackhawk is a powerful packin' pistol. If you got a Blackhawk in 45 colt, you could consolidate your ammo somewhat though, especially if you reload. It would also be lighter than the super (equal barrel lengths) as it has an aluminum gripframe.

just my 2c, but I'm a 44 guy myself.

IMG_07952-1.jpg

captainkirk[/img]

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
No experience with the Raging Bull but have found heavier bullets in the 454 to be less "harsh" out of my Alaskan. If you don't reload Buffalo Bore makes heavy Colt and Casull loads (325-360gr) that are much nicer to shoot than any factory 300's in 454. Once you get past 1000-1200fps w/300+gr bullets all you are buying is range, (and recoil) not killing power.

gramps

Hawkeye
For oh sh@t moments nothing beats a good Double Action. I bought a .44 mag Redhawk with a 4.2 inch barrel, and load it with reloads of 300 gr lwfn. If you are well practised with a SA they can also work.
gramps

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
I know everyone love the Ruger in 45 Colt with the Ruger only loads . I'm scared someone going to put a Ruger only loads in the wrong gun and get someone hurt . A 454 or 44 mag is a safer way and if you forget or lose ammo you replace it easy also ..........

jfo4

Bearcat
I rarely chime in on these things; but my 2 cents.

For day to day cary go with a 629 or blachawk/bisley. Either a 4" 629 or 4 5/8" blackhawk, preferably a bisley frame.

Off the road system up here .44 mag is the best way to go. Everyone stocks some form of "bear load". The .45 colt is my favorite but just to hard to get unless you handload.

I found that my redhawks only made it into the field once. Folks will probably laugh, but my field carry revolver for bears right now is a 3" SP-101 with 200 grain hard casts and laser grips.

Remember with a revolver you have to engage the skull/brain or spine to stop any large animal. It's the gun you have with you that will make the difference.

Also remember that you will more than likely miss your target. Being able to get back on target quickly is paramount, for me that rules out the .454, .475, and .500.

captainkirk

Blackhawk
I started to mention the 5.5 redhawk also, but weight and bulk seem to be an issue. I know the redhawk is only a few ounces heavier than the super b, but it seems much heavier and bulkier to carry. I love them both, but the super carries better.

s4s4u

Hunter
I'll take a handloaded .452 over a .429 any day, but you don't have to push it at Casull velocities to giterdun. A 300 grainer will feel better to the shooter from the larger case as well as the gun, and there is no replacement for displacement.

mrgaf

Single-Sixer
WOW thanks for all the great advice! Used to carry a Taurus 44mag 4" but gave it to my buddy's brother in law since he was really nice and loaned us both of his ATV's for 10 days. Made getting into the field a whole lot easier plus he drives big rigs from Fairbanks<->Prudhoe Bay all the time and it will serve him well. Think I'm leaning towards the S&W 629 4" since there is one available locally and I like the feel. Got a good load for the 44 mag using 300gr barnes busters. Recoil aint nothing like the 454 but should be plenty powerful enough as long as I do my part. Should be a nice back up SHTF weapon up there in God's country.....

MaxP

Buckeye
s4s4u said:
I'll take a handloaded .452 over a .429 any day, but you don't have to push it at Casull velocities to giterdun. A 300 grainer will feel better to the shooter from the larger case as well as the gun, and there is no replacement for displacement.

Yep, me too!

I would suggest a 4-inch .45 Colt Redhawk if you can find one.

BearBio

Buckeye
I currently have more than a couple of handguns in 44, 45, and one 454. Like you, I have the Taurus. While I do not consider the recoil too much, I do agree it is a MONSTER in size. Here in Washington, we do have a few grizzlies and many black bears. My woods gun, which I find much more comfortable to shoot than a 44 and slightly less than the ported Taurus is a Sheriff's model Vaquero (3"), to which I added Bisley grips and oversized Hogue wood grips. My load is a 300 gr hardcast with a wide meplat and going about 1000-1100 fps. I'll try to post a pic tonite. I expect there would be little difference between that Vaquero and a short barrelled Blackhawk.

BTW: I have to add that, as a professional wildlife biologist and former researcher on blackbears, I heartily recommend bearspray over a pistol.

dlhredfoxx

Single-Sixer
4.75" barrel Ruger Vaquero or Blackhawk in 45Colt with hot and heavy cast "Ruger only" loads would do the trick. Or a 4.75" barrel Ruger SBH in 44 Mag would be a good plan B. I prefer SA, they are smaller framed compared to the larger DA in like calibers and are easy to pack. Just make that first shot count...

Tommy F

Single-Sixer
Any 454 is a great gun for big animals. I suggest you test different cross draw and shoulder holsters and reduced 454/45 colt 300 gr flat nose hard cast. I have a nylon Uncle Mike shoulder holster for a 9.5 SRH that would be an Alaska top choice.

stantheman86

Buckeye
I trust my life to Ruger, I won't bash any other brand but I would go with my .44 Alaskan or my 4.2" .44 Redhawk.

There are hot, heavy bullet .44 Mag loads from Buffalo Bore, Double Tap etc. that are more like a mid-range .454. Basically "Ruger and FA only" loads.

I'm a DA guy, but there are some good SA's like the shorter barreled Super Blackhawks in .44 Mag that would be good choices too.

Any good revolversmith, like Bowen, C&S, Pinnacle etc. can trim a SRH barrel to whatever you want. If you want a 4" or 5" SRH they can chop the barrel, recrown it and mount the front sight back on.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I have the ultimate handgun being made as we speak. In my opinion. Its a 480 super redhawk that was a 7.5" to start with someone before me had it magnaported. But I also have a alaskan in 454 that I love so I sent the 480 to have it cutdown to the size of the alaskan. I missed the 480 alaskans when they were made but am having mine cut down at a reasonable price. So I will end up with a 6 shot alaskan at a fair price not a factory alaskan but as close as I can get with what I have.

Knuckles

Buckeye
The 629 smith is a very good hand gun... a good choice out of many good choices.