Green Washing Machines ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

caryc

Hawkeye
I see on the news that they are talking about green washing machines now. This would require manufacturers to remove the agitator in top loading machines. How is it supposed to clean your clothes if they just sit there in a tub of water and soak? You might as well just go down to the creek and beat your clothes on a rock.

My new machine is an HE. It has a sort of flat stirrer on the bottom of the drum. These do require less amps to move than a traditional agitator. Also you can get pretty good water movement with much less water.

The trade off is they really don't rinse all that well. So I find myself using the extra water setting frequently. This of course uses more water since the agitator isn't taking up and of the drum volume.

coach

Hunter
I had to buy one during Covid because that was all I could find to replace the old one that had crapped out. Even then I had to wait 6 weeks to get it. From what I can tell the clothes basically rub against each other to get the dirt out. I don't think it works as well on real dirt like mud and such but in general it cleans regular clothing. Mine does have an extra heavy duty cycle for heavily soiled clothes that I should use more when needed.

I'm not too sure my machine qualifies as "green", but we have an LG with just a tub, no agitator. I am amazed at the way this thing washes clothes. The tub turns back and forth and agitates the water in that way. The clothes are clean, and many of my short sleeve shirts end up inside out. How does that happen? These things rock!

caryc

Hawkeye
I'm not too sure my machine qualifies as "green", but we have an LG with just a tub, no agitator. I am amazed at the way this thing washes clothes. The tub turns back and forth and agitates the water in that way. The clothes are clean, and many of my short sleeve shirts end up inside out. How does that happen? These things rock!
So, if the tub turn back and forth just like an agitator would, what's that supposed to accomplish? I mean, what is the thing saving? Water...electricity?

KIR

Sparks, NV
My wife read in Consumer Reports that Maytag made the best machine because the tub would not rust out like the other brands. The Maytag is still going strong after 35+ years. The stackable dryer on top still working great too.

Ride1949

Hunter
68521b662a060c4abbeea0377ec86f23.jpg

😜

My wife wanted one of those low water use front loaders a number of years back when our old Sears top loader died for about the third time .... I can only speak for this specific brand.....had to go look at the iddy biddy label on it... no big name tag on top or front... Electrolux. and this was not a high end unit... but it has been running now for probably 8 years or more.... the one issue we discovered pretty quick... it did not do a good job of cleaning my work clothes.... So, for my birth day the next Summer my wife bought me my own washing machine... and old heavy duty Sears / Kenmore top loader. Oh and another issue with the low volume front loaders... you have to leave the door open when not in use or things grow in them.

As for the new top loaders with no agitator.... the two we have encountered at rental properties have one problem... the average 5'6" woman can't get to the clothes in the bottom of the thing once they are washed unless they have one of those grabber tools or a stool to stand on.

IKE

Single-Sixer
Our 30+ year old Whirlpool washer and dryer were acting up and I figured why fix them since they're that old it'll probably just be something else go wrong next month so after a lot of research I bought mama a new Speed Queen TR7 & DR7 set last month.

Right at $2900.00 for the pair but with us both in our early 70's and if they are as good as everyone says they are they'll last us till we're gone.

tr7dr7.jpg

hittman

Staff member
IKE nailed it!
In early 2021 our 27 year old Whirlpool pair pooped out.
We also went with Speed Queen Heavy Duty Commercial with extended warranty, etc.

Learned a LOT doing my research. Most of the familiar brand names ain't what they used to be and "in-home" service seems RARE.

Reactions: IKE

hittman

Staff member
Oh, and we've got friends and family members who have things like "green" machines and some with the front loaders. Not one of them would make the same purchase again.

The green machines don't clean.
The front loaders always leak and grow mold and stink.

I gather that the clothing essentially rub against one another to remove dirt. and I think my tub would last longer than those of other brands.

I have a Maytag Centennial washer and dryer set that is probably 12 years old. No real problem with them except for the washer drum making a noise a few years ago. I turned it upside down and cut a hole through the guard to reach the nut holding the center of the tub. The nut was loose so I used Loctite red to put it back together. No agitator in the tub so I use the heavy-duty settings and it works well. Fortunately my work clothes are furnished and washed by my employer so that makes it easier on the laundry equipment at home

coach

Hunter
So, if the tub turn back and forth just like an agitator would, what's that supposed to accomplish? I mean, what is the thing saving? Water...electricity?
Mine barely fills up with enough water to cover the clothes. Saves water & electricity to heat water. All cycles use cold water to rinse whether you want or not. Again saves electricity. Mine does have some cycles that use more water but you still don't get that good agitation to get out heavy dirt. I'm guessing for washing only it uses less than a quarter of the water my old top loader did.

pyth0n

Buckeye
I wonder if that system uses more/less energy to more the heavier drum than using a lighter agitator.

larry8

Blackhawk
I just got a pair of LG washer and dryer for $1800. But I ordered the GAS dryer. It is MUCH cheaper to operate than the most efficient electric dryer. I also ordered a GAS stove to replace the electric stove we had . My electric utility bill went down almost $40 a month while my gas bill when up $4.00 a month.

Crockett12

Bearcat
I also bought a "green machine" unknowingly! It's a Samsung and works well in getting the clothes clean. However there was an important software update that I was supposed to do and had to connect it to the internet so I could update it with the software -- but haven't been able to get it connectied to the internet! They said the update was to prevent fires! -- I've followed all the suggestions from Samsung and even used their "contact us" page to actually communicate with an employee and still haven't been able to do the update. I've tried over and over to connect it to our internet without success each time! I even tried to return it to Lowe's where we bought it and Lowe's would have taken it back but Samsung wouldn't support Lowe's if they took it back! We still use it but won't leave the house while using it because of the danger! I would NEVER buy a green machine again -- especially a Samsung!

Pál_K

Guns. I has it.
This is mine, a Whirlpool LFA 7680 made in 1977. A coworker friend gave it to me in 1999 along with the same style dryer.

IMG_1737.jpeg

I only know what it is because, surprise!, there are actually washing machine discussion forums on the internet.

The washing machine works, but now vibrates violently during the spin cycle. Probably a bearing or mount. I'm afraid to use it now and I cannot find anyone anywhere who will repair it. I doubt new machines will last even 10 years.

The dryer is fine; maybe I'll buy a new washer only.

Last edited: