Grilled tonight..............

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Today was my grocery store day, and I decided to get the "makin's"; buns ground chuck patties, onion, dill pickle chips. I have not made hamburgers since Nita's death two years ago.

I use a Weber grill, one with the big black dome cover. I grill with chsrcoal and add chunks of mesquite wood and a little oak. Got a good head of smoke to permeate the neighborhood as well and got my patties juicy brown and reeking of mesquite. Smeared the warm buns with mustard and built my 'burger.

Sure was good. Seemed like old times.

Almost.

Bob Wright

wproct

Single-Sixer
Those Weber grill's are the best there is for sure. I had to buy a new one a couple of years ago. It's got the thermometer in the lid and the ash catcher is much improved and easier to use. Ya just can't beat a good burger off the grill.

krw

Blackhawk
This time of the year, when we're picking ripe tomatoes. Aint nothing better than grill burger w cheddar cheese. 3/8" slice tomato, dill pickles and healthy sized slab red onion. Miracle whip on one side, mistard on other. Wash it down with a high sugar, high caffiene Mt Dew. Aint nothing better. Unless its 2!! 😂😂😂

Charcoal is much better than gas. And yep, those Weber grills are the best.

But I'm afraid you lost me at mesquite. I just cannot stand that wood.

However! I'm glad you broke out the grill and cooked some burgers! Sounds like a good time.

I'm lazy and use gas but one of my fondest memories is of my father lighting the charcoal grill when I was young.
He's the only person I've ever known to do it this way... he would roll out the acetylene cutting torch and tanks... and light just the acetylene and hit the charcoal for about 30 seconds with that dirty flame then turn it off and turn on the oxygen for about a minute and those coals were ready to cook.

Webber's are okay. Used them for years. Then I got this multi compartment thing that lets you smoke, grill, cook with direct or indirect heat etc. You can cook entire meals on this thing.

Charcoal of course. But lately I've been looking at one of those pellet jobs. Still big, but supposedly has better heat control.

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
I have big Pit Boss pellet smoker/propane grill monstrosity on my lower deck "smoke pit"......it's nice, fill it with pellets turn it on a "smoke" or turn on the gas and grill.... but I still have a couple Weber kettle grills. Nothing beats lump charcoal, some moistened wood chips, fire and meat......if I were to chose only one it would be the Webers.

Although....at a couple of my commands we had 100 gallon drum split in half with steel grates....you could grill a ton of meat/chicken on those things at one time!

krw

Blackhawk
I bowed up few years bak and bought one of the PK cast alum grills. I aint the fanboy thats lots of people are over them. It is hard to beat that ole standby Webber for grillin tasks!!

Bob,
Good for you.
After grilling burgers since the 60s we have found a better way which is doing them on a griddle, a Smashburger. Remember that is the way they were done in your local dinner of the 40s-50s long before Big Mac and Whopper came along.
We do ours with American cheese, sweet caramelized onion, tomatoes, iceberg lettuce, and bacon on a butter toasted brioche bun.
First grill the bacon till crispy, then smash and grill the burger in the bacon grease along with the onions and Brioche buttered Buns.
I use 5.5OZ. of 80-20 hamburger per patty and a griddle temp of 450 F+- to get the seared/crust on the burger.

By the way if you don't want to buy a griddle, just get a piece of steel plate to put on your grill. You can also buy ready made ones.
1720027972437.png

A double patty
1720027910857.png

These have many uses on your grill
1720028532496.png

Jim is absolutely correct about smash burgers. It's the only way I cook burgers anymore.

A famous burger sandwich in NYC is a Chopped Cheese. I haven't had one but the next time I'm in New York it's on the list. It's like a smash burger in a way.

jav

Single-Sixer
I love my charcoal Weber wouldn't be without one . I scored big a couple of years ago a person had a brand new maybe used a couple times giving away free . The whole set up starter all Weber brand stuff . I was in the place right time thing .

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
As to home made grills, a friend of mne at church made his out of an old proane tank, He welded some lugs along the side and uses floor bar grating fro the grill. I think he said he can grill five dozen busrges at one time.

Bob Wright

Latest posts