H&S aftermarket stock question?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

I've posted this at another Ruger related website and thought I would run it by here to see if anyone has had any experience with HS stocks.....

I own a Ruger M-77 MKII 30-06 and I'm thinking of ordering a H&S Pro-Series sporter stock to hopefully improve on accuracy. I wanted to ask around from those who may have purchased an H&S to see if they gained any benefits in accuracy. These stocks aren't cheap so I would like to know they are worth the money. The factory stock is a dark camo synthetic stock that looks good and appears to be of better quality than some other factory synthetic stocks I've seen. However if I can improve on it I won't mind laying out the money. Also plan to install a Timney trigger as well. Thanks for your input.

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
Ruger factory synthetic stocks fit and shoot fine -they are not the best looking but function well.

Accuracy has many componets in order of importance-
1. You the shooter
2. a solid rifle(Ruger of course)-good scope mount and all screws tight-solid rest
3.Ammo -different brands and weights of the caliber you are shooting
4.Practice-
5. If you can shoot 1-1.5 MOA at 100 TO 200 yards pretty consistently then the term reasonably accurate could apply

Stocks ,triggers ,bedding would all come way after the above mentioned and even with those mods your return on investment will be determined by you -but my opinion would be marginal-shrinking groups a 1/2 MOA is difficult and not always the rifle.

good shooting, Steve

Scott r

Single-Sixer
A HS stock with its bedding block will be a more stable platform for the action than a wood or injection molded {plastic}stock. Thus yeilding more accuracy.

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
scott, no offense but yielding more accuracy than what ? There is no baseline for this particular rifle, it has not even been shot.

To assume that if you simply restock a rifle and it (you) will shoot better is at best hypothetical.

If want to change the appearance, LOP,feel etc of a rifle then change the stock but to assume it will shoot better just by changing a stock no matter what the brand is guess work.

good shooting,Steve

Scott r

Single-Sixer
Steve... HS stocks with the aluminum block embeded into the stock have zero flex or give at recoil, or when the actions screws are tourqed. Factory Ruger black plastic and wood stocks do not offer these two benefits. Removing these variables contributes to tighter groups. One can start down the accuracy road at many points, removing a less than best stock to begin with will save alot of headaches.

Latest posts