Ruger American Stock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cobalt402

Single-Sixer
I just picked up a American Predator (original version, not 2.0) in 7mm-08 for my daughter, and find that the stock is really hollow sounding. I realize this is a budget rifle, but an ideal starter gun, and considering that she's left handed, one of the few available. The question is, is the stock really hollow, and, can it be filled with foam to deaden the hollowness and add some stoutness to it?

C4

SAC09

Bearcat
I am pretty sure all the Americans are the same. Look at the Magpul American Hunter stock. I think it fits all the American short action rifles.

Use a foam with a high expansion rating. Is the hollow one large void or compartments of voids? Don't expect the foam to reach into and fill small voids. You may need to drill some holes directly into smaller spaces to ensure those are filled.
I bedded a few 'other' brand stocks which had large voids in/under the barrel channel. Those required a 'skin coat' of bedding to seal against foam deterioration or holding moisture that would rust the barrel.

cobalt402

Single-Sixer
Thanks SAC, the Magpul looks interesting, but they only offer right hand stocks, it's a lefty gun.
Mobuck.....I haven't pulled the pad to look at the stock guts, but after sighting it in today, it didn't feel too bad. I think I'll let my daughter decide when I give it to her and let her decide what she wants to do, after all, it will be her 1st rifle.

Latest posts