Has anyone else had Hogue Monogrips not fit their Redhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
I recently bought their soft Monogrip for my Redhawk. I'm quite familiar with these grips. They wouldn't fit by 1/8" all the way around. I took the stirrup out and still couldn't get them to fit. I took them off and looked inside the bottom read and there's molded rubber "blocks" that the entire bottom of the grip frame sit on, and they stick up 1/8" above where they should :unsure:

I contacted Hogue thru their question form, but since it's been 2 1/2 weeks with no response, very disappointed. I've already boxed them for return. I should have taken a pic of the bottom blocks I mentioned.

Surely this can't be it, but this gun is a very early first year production, 1979. I'm thinking Hogue just made a bad batch, but they sure have been making this type grip for a long time. I believe if the grip frame on the earliest Redhawks changed from then until now I'd have heard about it.

Any thoughts other than badly molded grips?

20230216-160656.jpg

20230216-160642.jpg

I don't know much about Redhawks. Out of curiosity I went to their website and they list two different monogrips for the Redhawk, each with their own part number, one for square butt and one for round butt. I believe one of them are longer (square) and will leave a gap.

Cholo

Staff member
I've been gone all day today, gun show stuff and all, but a follow up is in order. It's a square butt, BTW.

contender was kind enough to give me a contact email at Hogue to try. I sent an email with 6 pics of the grip fit and the packaging detail. 2 1/2 hours later I received a reply, and that's amazingly fast. The first thing he said was that he was sorry no one had contacted me about my inquiry thru their Contact Us page and that they'd been short handed in that dept. That's cool.

He said they are genuine Hogue grips and not knockoffs like I thought they might be. He told me to remove the square rubber gasket that comes with the stirrup and replace it with 1/2 an earplug which would give the stirrup some wiggle room where it had none with the square washer. Instead I cut a small square out of an old rubber car mat I've kept for years to make gaskets and whatnot out of. I now got about 1/32" of wiggle to the stirrup.

I put the grips on and aligned the threaded hole in the stirrup with the hole the screw goes thru. I couldn't align the threads when it was rigid but could now that I had 1/32" to work with. I used the red plastic tube from a WD-40 can for the alignment. The screw still couldn't reach after multiple times and finally I just quit. That didn't last long...

I said: These things are going on one way or another! I put the top of the gun against my chest and pulled the bottom of those grips toward the gripframe so hard I thought I might bend the barrel LOL I got the screw started and it depressed the "bumpers" in the bottom of the grip enough to seat it like it should be when tightened.

What a job, an unnecessary one if you ask me. There's no reason these grips were so hard to install on a square butt Redhawk. I'll email them tomorrow or Monday and let them know it worked, but not without unnecessary difficulty. Hogue's email communication throughout Friday afternoon was nothing short of excellent.

Here a couple of quick pics I just took.

20230218-211916.jpg
20230218-211947.jpg

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
That looks better but I have hogues on other pistols and they all fit nice. I'd say they need to redesign them for a square butt Redhawk unless you got a defective set. Have others had the same issue? I have a set for my round butt Redhawk and they fit much better than what I see in your pictures.

Cholo

Staff member
The fit is okay, but not great. I checked the Monogrip fit of a round and square butt S&W and the fit is better though not perfect. I'll let Hogue know.

I've not modified these grips in any way and can still return them for their unconditional refund. For $33 delivered it almost not worth the trip to the USPO to return them LOL

Neither here nor there: The Monogrips on my N frame S&W's are smaller than these are and these don't fit my hand nearly as well. The finger grooves cause my hand to sit a full 1/2" lower on the backstrap than I like. It's as if I have narrow hands, and I don't.

I think these would better fit Hickok45 or Bill Jordan LOL

Cholo

Staff member
I guess we can bury this dead horse with one more pic LOL This is how low the web of my hand sits when my fingers are in the finger grooves. It's actually below the "ears" in the grip frame. I can live with the not so great fit, but not my hand positioned that low. I tried to like it, but no.

I've been very pleased with Hogue Monogrips in the past, just not these for a Redhawk. Hogue has been absolutely great! :)

20230219-145827.jpg