have 1980 m77 22-250 varmit barrel lost bolt in moving any suggestions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
Yes , I see quite a few guns show up at auction missing bolts . Always figure the owner hid it separate from the rifle so it was useless to a thief . Problem is owner dies unexpectedly and no one knows where the bolt is ......

hittman

Staff member
Wow, I would have never dreamed in a million years somebody would remove a part of their gun for storage or hiding.

Similarly, convertible revolvers are often bought and sold without the extra cylinder.

I don't always have appropriate storage solutions for all my guns. I can think of two bolt action rifles, as we speak, that have the bolts removed and the receivers cabled to other guns. And as we speak, I don't know exactly for sure where I hid the bolts away. I will find them when I look, but if I wasn't around, my kids just might have to sell some guns without bolts.

Last edited:

petera

Bearcat
Wow, I would have never dreamed in a million years somebody would remove a part of their gun for storage or hiding.
obviously you don't live in Connecticut or Massachusetts the home of many gun companies who long since been chased out

Mom's middle Son had a Remington 788 in 6mm that he kept at the 'old place' after he moved. One day, he found a window broken and the rifle/ammo gone. The thief didn't gain much as the bolt was hidden in a kitchen drawer. Finding a replacement bolt for a left handed 788 6mm would be close to NEVER.
I went hunting with a guy who thought he was doing the right thing by keeping his rifle bolt separate UNTIL he showed up for a hunt and didn't have the bolt.
It goes both ways.