Hogue Tamer Grips vs. Mono Grip?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dump1567

Single-Sixer
I just bought a new .454 Alaskan via the internet (no real picture of the gun, just the one from Rugers website). The picture from ruger shows the gun with the Hogue Mono grip (closed backstrap version), and not the Hogue Tamer grip they use to come with.
Any opinion of what grip works better for recoil?
Thanks.

Here's the grip Ruger now show with these.

5301.jpg

hittman

Staff member
I'm guessing it would depend on how sensitive you are to recoil.

My Alaskan is only 44 mag but it wears these and I shoot it just fine.

s4s4u

Hunter

The Tamer, by far. The tamer not only has the sorbathane insert to cushion recoil, it is also is more rounded and wider on the backside which distributes recoil better.

DPris

Buckeye
The .454 Alaskan SHOULD be shipping with the Tamer, the one here that arrived last month has it.
Same on the 7.5 .454 Super Red.

The Tamer is a similar profile to Hogue's standard rubber Monogrip, but slightly bigger.
A better choice for heavy recoil control.

Denis

Dump1567

Single-Sixer
Thanks. Rugers' website shows the Tamer on the .44 mag and .480, but the mono on the 454. I ordered a tamer from midwayusa.

DPris

Buckeye
Do you have the gun in hand?
You sure it doesn't have the Tamer on it?
Denis

DPris

Buckeye
Might have waited till you actually got the gun.
The website photo means nothing.
Probably already has the Tamer on it.
Denis

Add Info: When I look it up, it clearly says it comes with Hogue Tamers on it.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
Pretty easy to tell. Just push in on the back of the grip at the top. If it depresses easily it is a Tamer. If you remove the grip the Blue Sorbothane strip down the back is easy to see on the inside.

Bob R

dleong

Bearcat
Dump1567 said:
Without doubt, the Tamer, especially if you're shooting full-house .454 Casull loads. They do a fantastic job of taming the recoil.

But there is a catch. The rubber material of the grip isn't particularly durable. After two or three extended range sessions shooting near-full-house handloads, the cobblestone texture wears completely smooth on the contact surfaces of the Tamer grip, and the rubber begins cracking shortly thereafter. I'm currently on my third Tamer grip on my 7.5" .454 SRH, and the second on my 9.5" .480 SRH.

Plan on treating the grip as a wear item that has to be replaced regularly if you're shooting heavy recoiling loads through your Alaskan.

Dump1567

Single-Sixer
dleong said:
Dump1567 said:
Without doubt, the Tamer, especially if you're shooting full-house .454 Casull loads. They do a fantastic job of taming the recoil.

But there is a catch. The rubber material of the grip isn't particularly durable. After two or three extended range sessions shooting near-full-house handloads, the cobblestone texture wears completely smooth on the contact surfaces of the Tamer grip, and the rubber begins cracking shortly thereafter. I'm currently on my third Tamer grip on my 7.5" .454 SRH, and the second on my 9.5" .480 SRH.

Plan on treating the grip as a wear item that has to be replaced regularly if you're shooting heavy recoiling loads through your Alaskan.

Thanks. Looks like the extra one I bought will come in handy.