Ruger vs S&W Revolvers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

t-reg

Single-Sixer
I'm a Ruger man in my heart and in my safe.
However, were I in the .44 Magnum market, the M29 Classic would be getting a real good look.
Too many updates on the old design to write it off.
It's as if S$W hired one of Mr. Ruger's Grandkids to run the Engineering Dept on that one.

unspellable

Bearcat
Old discussion, but I'll reply anyway. Depends on what you mean by strong. Take a S&W 45 Colt and a Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt and crank the pressure up to catastrophic failure and it's a wash at 60,000. On the other hand with really heavy loads the S&W will develop end shake and go out of time sooner than the Ruger. This due to the S&W using the yoke tail to limit forward cylinder travel. It's almost a knife edge on the bottom of the cylinder well. The Ruger limits forward travel by the cylinder neck bearing on the frame with a much larger bearing surface. As said above, it's probably more a model vs model thing than S&W vs Ruger.

ceadermtnboy

Blackhawk
Yankee is a self proclaimed blow hard. Per one of the best revolver gunsmiths ever (Mr. Grant Cunningham) the Ruger Gp100 will never go out of time, the lock-work is solid. Unless you are competition shooter and need the quick trigger return of the S&W, then Ruger is the most reliable. I have had problems with the S&W locking up by throwing the tiny sear spring that is no longer pinned in place. That will lock it down.

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
Remember the Average yearly income in 1955 for men was 3400 dollars, so that was as much at one cost now or maybe a little more.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240416-182318_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240416-182318_Chrome.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 21

dannyd

Hunter
Yep, about the same price as the Python today. It was not my favorite revolver by any means, but we used to shoot it across the border from the Peoples Republic of Maryland, but I guess Virginia is becoming that too. Sad.

Ranger

Single-Sixer
I think the Ruger GP100 .44 magnum is much nicer than the same size S&W 69 .44 magnum... oh... wait... the Ruger is just a .44 special for some reason and my 69 is really nice... ;-)

I still remember the old S&W ads about big and thick is great for a burger but not for a gun.

I have both and like both. Wish the QA was better on both. Suspect the Spohr might be best revolver; but spendy...

SAC09

Bearcat
I have owned and do own both - I like both - both make excellent revolvers. My favorite DA Smith is my 1952 M & P - 5" - excellent shooter. My CCW that I usually carry is a Smith Model 36. If I didn't have that, I'd probably be carrying a Ruger SP101. My favorite SA is my Ruger New Vaquero. I own more than a couple of each brand and am happy with all of them. Ruger is rugged and they offer good customer service. Smith does also. To me, it boils down to personal preference, what feels good to you and what you can afford.

TommyG1960

Bearcat
New here. I own both. I have a 6in GP 100 and. 6in model 57 classic smith. Both are great shooters and both go bang. Both will out shoot me. I do think that the Rugers are tanks. The Smith is really sweet to shoot. I have a Sp 101 match champion that is my carry gun that I can hit 410 hulls at 25 yds but with 357 loads it's a hand full, it's carried with 38s. 110 +p. All of them are great revolvers.

contender

Ruger Guru
"it boils down to personal preference, what feels good to you and what you can afford."it boils down to personal preference, what feels good to you and what you can afford."

As an instructor,, this is exactly what I tell students. Fit & comfort,, are keys to good shooting.

"I have a Sp 101 match champion"
I hope you meant GP-100 Match Champion. I don't recall a SP-101 in a MC design.

Star43

Blackhawk
New here. I own both. I have a 6in GP 100 and. 6in model 57 classic smith. Both are great shooters and both go bang. Both will out shoot me. I do think that the Rugers are tanks. The Smith is really sweet to shoot. I have a Sp 101 match champion that is my carry gun that I can hit 410 hulls at 25 yds but with 357 loads it's a hand full, it's carried with 38s. 110 +p. All of them are great revolvers.
When you mention the "110" load, I think of the old "Treasury Load".....110 38 Spc. +P+.....That was a very good load. I still have quite a bit of it left over from back then from the late 80's...

contender

Ruger Guru
"I just saw a 3 screw .44 SBH, for sale.
I'm thinking about it.
What's a fair price?"

We'd need more details to help in pricing.
The serial number helps identify many things. That would be the best help. After that,, it's about condition, and originality. And of course,, if it has anything special,, like maybe a brass grip frame??