Ruger vs S&W Revolvers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dannyd

Hunter
It's long gone he sold it in the late 90's before he died. He purchased the Python first year they came out which I believe was 1955 and I think it cost him 98.00 dollars then.

dannyd

Hunter
Remember the Average yearly income in 1955 for men was 3400 dollars, so that was as much at one cost now or maybe a little more.

Star43

Blackhawk
Remember the Average yearly income in 1955 for men was 3400 dollars, so that was as much at one cost now or maybe a little more.
Yeah, I realize that. I was just thinking out loud. Not the first time I've done that !!!! Yes, back then if one made a Hundred bucks a week, that was a good paycheck. !!! So yes, the times back then compared to now...But a Python for 98 bucks !!!! 😊😊👍👍

KWend54

Single-Sixer
Love my Rugers…… but also my Colts! Never a Smith fan!

Attachments

• IMG_6868.jpeg
    IMG_6868.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 23

dannyd

Hunter
I am a fan of shooting, put 400 rounds on a GP 100 last week and try to do that every week. :)

varminter22

Single-Sixer
Well … some of my shooting buddies like their S&Ws. I tease them that folks who USE their guns choose Ruger. People who LOOK AT their guns buy Smith and a container of Renaissance Wax. :ROFLMAO: I mean really ….. waxing your gun?!

Anyway, I flop out on the bench my firearm and ammo.
They unpack gun, screwdriver, lock-tite, extra side plate screws and on and on …….
Interesting thread. I can understand the Ford vs Chevy, etc, etc debates. Much is based on personal preference.

But I had to opine on this one. In reference to teasing S&W guys "that folks who USE their gun choose Ruger and people who LOOK AT their guns buy S&W...", well, that makes good banter and chuckles.

But in reality, real DA revolver competition shooters use S&W exponentially more than Rugers. And it's easy to verify. Look at ANY USPSA or ICORE match; you MAY find one Ruger shooter.

USPSA even queries shooters at the Nationals about their equipment and publishes the results. You'll be hard pressed to find more than one or two Rugers (or Pythons), if any.

Me, personally? I LOVE my stable of Ruger SA revolvers. I carry 'em on the trail/camping/hunting, and shoot 'em at SA revolver matches, and even occasional CCW or open carry. But for real shooting/competition/CCW/open carry, it is 100% S&W, all the way.

Oh, and GMC trucks, Mary Ann, propane, etc, etc!!!

Armybrat

Buckeye
My very first gun - ever - was a S&W M29, 8-3/8" barrel that I bought for IHMSA Silhouette shooting. Beautiful gun.

But I bought it new in 1988 and that period of S&W was not their greatest in terms of quality. Those in IHMSA that shot revolvers (as opposed to T/C's and XP-100's) chose Ruger Blackhawks or Dan Wesson over S&W by about 20 to 1. Why? The M29's had a reputation of going out of time and of throat erosion. The common belief was that S&W designed the M29 with the thought that the average owner wouldn't put more than one box of .44 mag rounds through it in its lifetime.

As for mine, within the first 500 rounds I did see throat erosion, flame cutting of the top strap, and some timing issues if you pulled the hammer back very slowly (I always shoot single action). But now, with over 2000 rounds through it of my mild magnum loads, it shoots accurately and is not getting worse.

I do believe the Rugers overall are stronger and, back then, of higher quality. S&W has improved its quality since the 80's, however.
My 29-2 was made in 1975.
Still a nice shooter according to my son, but he likes the Service Six I gave him better.
IMG_2450.jpeg

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
Had Colts. Triggers were usually pretty good for 3-5000 rounds. Hate working on Colt triggers. S&W truggers were really ggod got 25000 rounds Ruger triggers weren't good till a couple thousand unless you switched springs...but always exceptions I might buy a 4 inch Python price is right

hittman

Staff member
I'm sure professional shooters have brand preferences. However, seems logical that they'll shoot and endorse whichever maker pays the most.

Hard to compare a competition gun to one you or I can buy at the local store too.

varminter22

Single-Sixer
I'm sure professional shooters have brand preferences. However, seems logical that they'll shoot and endorse whichever maker pays the most.

Hard to compare a competition gun to one you or I can buy at the local store too.
Well, the matches of which I spoke are NOT just professional shooters. As a matter of fact, there are VERY few such shooters. BY FAR, and I mean a very LOOOONG shot by far of the shooters/competitors are just regular guys THAT SHOOT!

Shooters are broken down by class, GM, M, A, B, C, and D. Check out any USPSA or ICORE match results, local, regional, national, and you'll easily see.

Not that hard to compare. S&W wins hands down. Yes, many are worked on to slick up the action/trigger, but for us common folks even that is much easier accomplished with a S&W and/or any competent 'smith can really help 'em.

Again, there is a reason that Ruger (and Colt) are hardly represented in the "run & gun" DVC competition world.

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
S&W may dominate in those other competitions, but in IHMSA, where you're shooting to knock down 55-lb steel rams at 200 meters, S&W was rare. Ruger Blackhawks dominated (.44 mag) followed by Dan Wesson in calibers like .357 Maximum or other more powerful wildcat rounds. The S&W's in the 1980's had a reputation for forcing cone erosion and for "shooting loose," which I take to mean problems with the timing and cylinder end-shake.

I was in the minority shooting my S&W M29. I love it, though.

In the early days of Silhouette, late 1970's to early 1980's, the rams were "hard set": the feet were placed fully on the rail. To topple them you needed a center or high-on-the-back hit with a full power .44 mag load. If you hit the ram, but it didn't topple, that's a zero score. What revolver shooters were doing was going over max loads or creating new wildcat rounds. Some simply started using T/C Contenders in 7mm TCU, .30-30, or even .35 Rem. Or using XP-100's in 7mm BR. Eventually, for safety, the rams were placed on the rail where only half the foot was on the rail and the other half hanging over, making it easier to topple backwards.

Generally, I like S&W. I have only one Colt and many Ruger single-action revolvers.

One thing that surprised me about my Ruger GP-100 was that I think its cylinder release latch is the best of any revolver I've ever used.

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
Lucky for ALL manufacturers they don't have to rely on competitive shooters for a big part of total sales.