How to remove outdoor carpet glue from concrete?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bvd1

Single-Sixer
i am placing an offer on a house in beautiful move in condition except the carpet on the front porch. The only thing I don't like is the outdoor carpet on the porch and three steps. I know how to remove the carpet but not the glue. I searched and most suggestions were to use an abrasive. Won't this leave the concrete too porous?

Found this by doing a search.

" But if you need BARE concrete because you want to stain or paint/epoxy it, you're going to need a concrete floor grinder. A concrete floor grinder uses either carbide cutting bits or carbide abrasive pucks to literally grinds away a thin layer of concrete, along with whatever's stuck to it. It's extremely noisy and dusty, but if you need to take the floor to bare concrete, it's your tool. There are two types. The larger one uses a machine just like the commercial floor buffers you see janitors using, but with a special plate that holds the cutters. For spot work, there's also a smaller one that looks like a router on steroids. If your entire floor is covered with adhesive, you'll need the big buffer model. If you've got the snail trails, either model will work, but the hand-held model will be less messy because you're only grinding a 4" swath instead of the 20" of the bigger model. You may have to call around to find a rental yard that has a floor grinder -- 2 of my 4 local HomeDepot's rent them. "

Don Lovel

Hunter
I have had to remove miles of it doing asbestos abatement and idiots used yellow carpet glue to put down tile with
Dry ice and a scarifying pad on floor buffer, or sometimes if it is not too old, ice cold mineral spirits and a 4" razor scraper. It is a major pain in the butt to deal with, good luck

nlocke

Bearcat
I removed glued-down carpet from my concrete back porch which is 12' x 22'. Tried many Internet recommendations but they did not work.
Here is how I finally got it off.
I initially bought a diamond grinding wheel for my 4" grinder at Lowe's' and tried that. The excess glue gummed up the grinder and made a mess. No Good!
So, I went to Lowe's and bought glue remover by the gallon. However, as with any remover, this only removes what sits on top of the concrete and you still have to get the glue out of the pores of the concrete. And the only way to get it out is to grind off a 32nd or so off the surface.
I used the glue remover to get the surface glue off. Slow going as the instructions are to apply a 3-4' square of remover, cover it with plastic and wait 10-15 minutes for it to bubble up. Remove the plastic and use a 4" scraper to take up the glue. The only problem is that the remover is acetone-based, dries very quickly( reason for plastic) and doesn't have enough time to soak through entirely where glue is thick. This meant that I had to go over the entire porch twice with the remover. It took 5 or 6 gallons as I recall.

Once surface glue was removed, I tried the 4" wheel again. Worked good, but I could see it was too small and was going to take a long time. I rented a large floor grinder which worked well. But...... since a concrete floor is not perfectly flat, the large grinder left glue in the small low places. The 4" grinder worked well for these areas. Once done, I stained the concrete and that was two years ago. Holding up just fine. I tell everyone I don't want to do it again!

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
Bear Paw Jack said:
If it's all over, which I doubt try Mineral Spirits or Goo Gone, and a really good scraper. Depending on the age of the concrete it still may be an issue. Goo Gone may leave some dark spots themselves.
I'd go with acetone or lacquer thinner.

Something else that might be worth a try is Easy Off Oven Cleaner. It takes off old dry enamel paint, which is pretty tough stuff, but I don't know what it might do to the concrete. Run a test on a small patch.

SamV

Buckeye
I have a concrete porch that was covered with glued down outdoor carpet. It was probably already pretty old when I bought the house. After pulling it up, I had pretty good luck with the strongest power washer I coul rent. I also used a turbo nozzle. The concrete had apparantly been painted a couple of times before someone put the carpet down. The turbo nozzle plus a 3700-4000 PSI washer got the vast majority of the paint and glue up revealing the original tinted concrete. It looks great over about 95-97% of the surface. I could live with the rest, placing patio furniture and planters strategically. Now after several years, I have begun to notice the small remaining glue and paint are starting to flake. This spring I will finish off the rest.
Good luck.

Chief 101

Hunter
they make replaceable blade scrapers for taking the glue and carpet off. Them muriatic acid for the embedded remnants...then you will likely have to tile it or paint it, or give it a year to get back to normal

loaded round

Hunter
If want to remove the glue chemically, I suggest trying either Toluene or Xylene (xylol). Both solvents are available at a large paint store or a Wally World. Please wear eye protection and gloves and try not to breath any fumes. Fumes are not conducive for continuing good health.

bvd1

Single-Sixer
Thank you to everyone that replied. The house was pulled from the market today, I really wanted it. Oh well, time to get searching again.

Latest posts